Trello has made custom fields paid. What happens if I had a board before using custom fields?

DLN August 26, 2021

One addition: Will I be charged?

5 answers

2 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Felix
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 26, 2021

You will not be charged for existing boards using the Custom Fields Power-Up, unless those boards are in a paid workspace.

Note that the Custom Fields Power-Up can no longer be added to any new boards, but it still works on existing boards that have it enabled. If you disable the Power-Up, you will not be able to re-enable it. In order to use Custom Fields on new boards, or existing boards that don't already have the Power-Up enabled, you will need to upgrade the board's workspace to a Standard or Premium plan.

From https://help.trello.com/article/1327-trellos-plans-update-and-faq :

Is Custom Fields no longer available as a Power-Up?

Custom Fields is now a core product feature for Standard, Premium, and Enterprise, and is no longer available as a Power-Up and can no longer be added from the Power-Ups directory.

If you currently have the Custom Fields Power-Up enabled on an existing free board, you can continue to use the feature on that board. However, any newly created boards within a free Workspace will not have the Custom Fields Power-Up available, and will require an upgrade to access Custom Fields on those boards.

Cate Peterson August 27, 2021

We have most of our useful  information contained on our Custom Fields. As a Business we increasingly reliant on being able to move cards from one board  easily to another and to mine information from the Custom Fields. We currently have 43 Custom Fields attached to our cards .We've just received this notification when attempting to move a card from one board to another. I have checked and the card contains 43 Custom Fields.Are there other component parts of the cards considered Custom Fields now?   If so how many.We may be able to cull the number of fields we have created. Thanks , Cate 

milene_langeslag September 2, 2021

In the message above you noticed that the Power-Up can be used on existing free boards. We have several boards and at some boards the power-up Costum Fields is disappeared and at other boards we can still use the Power-Up. Could you explain this or give us advise to have the Power-Up back?

Anna Saraceno
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 2, 2021

@Cate Peterson - Thanks for your question. I'm glad to hear Custom Fields have been so valuable to your business. There are no other card components that are considered Custom Fields, so the 43 Custom Fields you had as part of the Custom Fields Power-Up are still the 43 Custom Fields you have now, with no additional elements. I hope that helps!

@milene_langeslag  - Thanks for sharing this information. You certainly shouldn't have had Custom Fields 100% disappear. It should either be available to use, or it should show as disabled, alongside a prompt to upgrade to unlock Custom Fields with a paid tier. When you say the Power-Up Custom Fields is disappeared, can you share some specifics on that? The Custom Fields feature will no longer be in the Power-Ups section or directory. Because it is now a core feature, it is outside of the Power-Ups section in both the board menu and card back. Our help doc contains screenshots that show where it is now.

To also explain a nuance of "the Power-Up can be used on existing free boards", this is only if the Custom Fields Power-Up was already being used on those free boards as of August 24th (the day we rolled out our new pricing and packaging). If you have boards on free teams that did not have the Custom Fields Power-Up enabled on that day, then those boards do not have the ability to use the Custom Fields feature unless you upgrade the Workspace to a paid plan - either Standard or Premium. 

Does this information clear things up, or is it still not aligning with what you're seeing? 

milene_langeslag September 2, 2021

Thanks for your answer. The fact is that we had de custom Fields Power-Up enabled on August 24th. We had this on all our boards and on some of the boards the fields diasappeared.

Anna Saraceno
Atlassian Team
September 2, 2021

Gotcha, thanks for that follow-up. At this point, it sounds like you're running into an issue that needs to be fixed, and the next best step would be to contact support so they can triage the issue and get it to the proper team to investigate. If you had the Custom Fields Power-Up on all of your boards, they should remain available as the Custom Fields core feature. You can contact support here (scroll down), and I'll give the team a heads up about this issue. Huge apologies for the frustration, and we appreciate your patience as we investigate the issue.

0 votes
Answer accepted
Allen -Amazing PowerUps-
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 6, 2022

If anyone is looking for a way to have fields on a free account feel free to checkout the Amazing Fields powerup.  It lets you add fields that support forumulas, custom styling, formatting, and more. 

On a free plan it lets you store basic data and then when you need support for things like butler automations, you can link the amazing fields to custom fields and use them for whatever you want.

2 votes
Dmitry Ignashoff November 22, 2021

I used Trello for more than a year, and I loved this product. I don't know, how could I work without it now.

However, removing Custom Fields from free plan (I used them on some of my boards and need them on other boards) has prompted me to search for alternatives to Trello. And I found them, not with free custom fields, but with radically more functionality for the same $5.

Farewell, Trello, and thank you for the lesson.

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 26, 2021

Yes, if you are using the power-up, it will become chargeable.

My understanding fails on one bit though - I'm thinking about active boards that have custom fields on them.  Obviously, if you remove all the custom fields, no, you will not be charged.  If you delete all the boards using them, you won't be charged.  But I don't know if archiving the boards that have used them in the past will be charged.

Michael Pryor
Atlassian Team
August 26, 2021

Not exactly. If custom fields powerup is on for people’s boards, we won’t start charging them. It will just stay on for those boards. But no charges. 

We couldn’t even do that for free users because we don’t have their credit card info ;) besides that would be not great experience for users. 

Like Entrepositive likes this
Entrepositive August 27, 2021

@Michael Pryor 

Speaking of not great experiences.... Custom Fields were removed from several of our boards that previously had them, both free boards and "Business" workspace. I have replied on threads, created my own thread on this, and have also opened a ticket.

On our end, this is a red-alert emergency since our CRM used Custom Fields/Crumble (and had countless customer information in Custom Fields!!!!) and we have other boards with clients included with automations that seem to have been deleted.

I am unsure what else to do to get the attention of the Trello team on this. A little help will be greatly appreciated!

0 votes
Eric August 26, 2021

Custom Fields was simply removed from my boards! I use Trello for business and have MANY hours into Custom Fields setup and Automations - they are all gone!

I hope this is recoverable.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events