cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trello Official Chrome Extension is gone

juanracode June 1, 2021

Hi, I would like to know what happened with Trello Official Chrome extension

It has been down for several days

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/trello/dmdidbedhnbabookbkpkgomahnocimke?hl=ID

Thanks

10 answers

8 votes
Michael Pryor
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 1, 2021

They delisted it because it needed some changes and right now we don’t have the resources to put it back up. I’m trying to figure out how to prioritize that but it won’t be soon as far as I can tell. 

Meaghan Gallant June 10, 2021

What's the definition of "soon"... will it be a few more weeks till its fixed? Months? And why aren't you announcing it anywhere? I had to dig to find this. 

Like # people like this
Suvradip Paul
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 1, 2021

@Michael Pryor - Is there any update or official communication on this please? It would be great if you can post in details.

Like # people like this
Michael Pryor
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 1, 2021

No updates yet!

Like # people like this
Suvradip Paul
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 1, 2021

Thanks @Michael Pryor  for your prompt response. I am watching this thread and please keep posted if your hear anything.

Like # people like this
isaiah_mann July 7, 2021

Thanks Michael! Adding in another community vote that this is key feature I'm really missing 😅

Like # people like this
Donna Grindle July 26, 2021

Logged in just to ask for an update on this. I knew I used it a lot but had no idea how much until it was gone.

Like # people like this
Richard Woods July 29, 2021

Keen to get an update on this. The extension is gold. 

Bookmarking this provides an alternative for now: https://trello.com/add-card

Like # people like this
Victor Low August 12, 2021

It's been two months now. Still no updates... ☹

Adam Cao
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
August 12, 2021
Like Alex Waite likes this
Victor Low August 12, 2021

@Adam Cao Tried it, thanks. But not going to pay $1/month for what it used to be free. This is just a simple extension to add cards. 😀

Like # people like this
Edward Samson August 12, 2021

@Adam Cao , please stop hijacking threads to promote your business. We're here to get word on the official chrome extension. Better to get no updates from @Michael Pryor than to get spam from you.

Best of luck on your product, I hope people like paying for it. But don't spam here, please.

Michael Pryor
Atlassian Team
August 13, 2021

We don’t have any immediate plans to relist the extension because of other conflicts with our roadmap and prioritization. 

So at the moment the Quick Cards for Trello extension would also be my suggestion. 

Like Adam Cao likes this
Suvradip Paul
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 13, 2021

Hi @Michael Pryor ,

Thanks for your response. To be honest, little sad that hear that.

Cheers

Suvradip

Like # people like this
Michael Herrling August 26, 2021

Hi

Unfortunately the Extension disappeared on day ago.

It is really sad as It was very useful for my workflow with Trello. 

I hope it will get a higher prioritization on your road map.

Like # people like this
Lidia Gribanova September 16, 2021

Just adding to the votes here to find the bandwidth on this - to me this is a really core feature of Trello (easy saving links from Chrome), and this extension has been the smoothest, least-click way to do it. 

Re-enabling the extension helps - for now - but still makes for a weird user experience, and I am now worried that, if nothing done, Chrome will fully block it.

Like # people like this
Sam Gilbert October 16, 2021

Hi, I would also like to comment on this - It's annoying that such a useful feature was removed without any communication?! And that it hasn't received a higher priority in the backlog?! From the comments, the shortcut b to search for a board, for me, is the best alternative. Not ideal though as it means an extra step multiple times a day.

Like Tammi Labrecque likes this
Meaghan Gallant November 7, 2023

@Michael Pryor and @Amanda Alvernaz any updates for the year ahead? I know development is complex but it feels like this was just abandoned as a priority altogether. I have the shortcut bookmarked but its not the same experience and has affected how I use it and, honestly, perceive the app overall. I know I'm not an enterprise customer so my opinion is at the bottom of the pile. But the lack of priority for a clipper extension makes me question Atlassian's intentions for Trello as a platform in the long run. Even some transparency on why its not a priority would be better than the shoulder shrug of a response they are having you give us.   

Like # people like this
Pietro Lo Fria November 8, 2023

I second Meaghan's comment.  Why buy Trello if it's not going to be developed?  You had a great product that rivaled Basecamp and Asana.

Sam Gilbert November 9, 2023

Already commented above, but ... Honestly, we all know Trello is awesome (in my opinion better than competitors by a country mile). That's why taking this feature away is so annoying, and it looks clear that there are no plans to add it back. I just hope they discuss with end-users next time they consider taking away features ... 

Like Pietro Lo Fria likes this
4 votes
Amanda Alvernaz
Atlassian Team
September 29, 2021

Hi Everyone! A quick note from the Trello team. As you all know the official Trello Chrome Extension has been delisted by Google. We understand that might have impacted some of our users’ productivity. We sincerely apologize for this inconvenience! 

For now, we want to highlight these alternative options: 

We are working behind the scenes to provide you with a better update on this, and we will be checking back soon. 

Thanks for your patience!

Brittany Joiner
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 29, 2021

@Amanda Alvernaz thanks for sharing this! I think the add card piece will be pretty helpful for me, and that's help to know about searching the boards in the URL. a few extra clicks than t tab but close enough :) 

Like Amanda Alvernaz likes this
Pietro Lo Fria June 2, 2023

Any updates on this?  Crazy that there's no new extension available?  Have people stopped using Trello or something?

Like # people like this
Sam Gilbert June 2, 2023

Still waiting also, very annoying

Like # people like this
Pietro Lo Fria June 13, 2023

Totally annoying.  I used to work for Accenture, and I find it hilarious that a company like Atlassian thinks this feature doesn't deserve prioritization. 

It's absurd, especially after all the hiring efforts during the pandemic.   Was there, not enough manpower to knock it out after a week?

Like # people like this
Kristy Graves November 7, 2023

November 2023...... 

3 votes
Richard Woods September 9, 2021

*Posting this as an answer rather than a comment as it has really helped me in replacing the extension:

Bookmarking this provides a handy alternative for now: https://trello.com/add-card

Thanks a lot, super helpful. I usually have my bookmarks bar hidden though, so still would miss the original Extension format. Thankfully, the re-enabling seems to work even though the warning is still there.

Josh Fleischmann November 18, 2021

Thanks, this solved it for me.

2 votes
YV_ March 8, 2022

it seems many users used the extension's shortcut for searching within Trello directly from the Chrome address bar. maybe they could get the same functionality by adding trello-search as an engine within Chrome:
-  steps for adding custom engines: https://www.popsci.com/diy/add-search-engines-to-google-chrome/
- url for trello search: https://trello.com/search?q=%s 

Trello search in Chrome engine.jpgi read most of the discussions/ comments below and found the above approach to resolve my need for global search within Trello. doesn't quite get to the need for searching for/ within specific boards & so on.

cheers!

Alex Walker March 14, 2022

That's the best solution I've seen so far. Would be nice if this option from @Amanda Alvernaz actually worked then it could be used for the board search I nearly always want:

• trello.com <space> b <space> NAME_OF_BOARD

However all that does is search for "b NAME_OF_BOARD" so maybe they removed that feature too!

2 votes
Mad November 30, 2021

Still waiting for this world to stop changing, the best extension!!!!!

1e8bfa04d401353280d81bfb1d2ec798.jpeg

2 votes
Michael Pryor
Atlassian Team
September 1, 2021

In case it wasn't obvious, you can use the Trello website to quickly navigate to boards by typing `b` and then the board name and then enter when you are at trello.com

Brittany Joiner
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 1, 2021

Ah i actually didnt know this! Good to know!

Leo Tulipan September 4, 2021

actually using the chrome location bar and "t NAME_OF_BOARD" was/is the main feature of the extension I use.
As the extension was released by you I simply activated it again and ignore the policy warning. But the "b NAME_OF_BOARD" is also a great help.

Hope you can officially list the extension again soon

Like # people like this
Michael Herrling June 13, 2022

Same here - after almost a year without the official extension, I still miss the "t NAME_OF_BOARD" function.

I'm not sure, but it seems the Atlassian team is somewhat underestimating the value of this feature.

None of the alternatives mentioned were good substitutes for this type of workflow.

I hope this functionality comes back somehow ;-)

Tammi Labrecque November 9, 2022

"I'm not sure, but it seems the Atlassian team is somewhat underestimating the value of this feature."

What you need to understand is that the Atlassian team does not give a single rat's *ss about their users. I miss Trello so so much, but we couldn't go on with them ignoring even the most simple requests, breaking everything all the time, then shrugging and telling us to deal with it. 

ClickUp has turned out to be an absolute godsend, but I still really miss the aesthetic of Trello. 

Like # people like this
1 vote
Alex Walker January 14, 2022

ARGH! New laptop and I lost my "t" address bard shortcut to all my plethora of Trello boards. I must have used that 50 times a day! Please bring it back! Pretty please! My productivity has nodedived! 

Michael Pryor
Atlassian Team
January 14, 2022

What's your use case that 'b' - boardname or using trello.com/add-card doesn't solve?

Alex Walker January 14, 2022

Firstly, thanks - I didn't know that existed, so that at least saves me navigating through the menus to find the right board.

Secondly, this is close to what I want, but I'm not generally already in Trello when I want to open a new board - I don't 100% live in Trello ;) The address bar "t" shortcut saved me first having to find a random trello page to open and then searching for the board... 

So my life just got a bit better thanks to you, but it could still get even better... 

Like Pablo RM likes this
Adam Cao
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 15, 2022

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/quick-cards-for-trello/kbcaloiloopinbimkfnhdlonaeloppmf

I made this thing free - don't mind the "free trial" text - it'll always say 30 days left lol

Dane January 31, 2022

That helps a lot, but still a bit wonky as it just does a search and then I have to click on the top result every time. 

Need my "T BOARD NAME" option back soon!

0 votes
Max Rozen October 10, 2022

I wrote an article with tips on how to workaround the Trello Chrome Extension being removed, particularly:

- How to quickly add links to your Trello Board

- How to quickly open any Trello board

- How to search within Trello using Chrome

Link: https://rozenmd.com/replacing-trello-official-chrome-extension

0 votes
Judah Ferst September 17, 2021

So, maybe someone should tell the content team that this extension is no longer available as it was referenced in a blog post last month, pushed out in an email this week...

https://blog.trello.com/leadership-skills-with-the-feynman-technique

Brittany Joiner
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 18, 2021

Funnily enough, I’m the one who wrote that post 😂 at the time I thought I was just having some issue on my computer accessing it because I found that same link referenced multiple times in other blog posts and I assumed the editing team would pull that out if it wasn’t true. I’ll make a note with them that they might wanna comb through all the posts that mention it since it can’t be downloaded anymore. 

Judah Ferst September 19, 2021

While I do appreciate the irony, it only further makes my point. If you are championing this as a great solution for your users then you should be supporting it and bring it back.

Like # people like this
Brittany Joiner
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 19, 2021

Oh I don’t work at Trello - just a massive fan and write some blog posts for them. But also I think this whole thread is all of us trying to champion for the feature, and even if every Trello product manager agrees this is a key feature, that doesn’t mean atlassian is for sure going to give the thumbs up to dedicate resources to it, or that it’s the only feature they’re getting feedback to prioritize. So I’ll keep chiming in here and advocating for it, but as one who now works in product development, I’ve started to get to see the other side of it and I know it’s not always as simple as “a lot of people say they like this”. 

Judah Ferst September 19, 2021

I totally agree, but Atlassian has famously removed features without any word about them (see Jira redesign and all of the features they dropped there) and it leaves a bad taste in all of our mouths. This isn't championing for a new feature, this is us saying WTF, this was here, something I used, and now its gone (without so much as a word from Atlassian) and that's shitty.

Like # people like this
0 votes
Brittany Joiner
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 26, 2021

Just noticed the extension disappeared from my chrome extensions 😭 I knew it was. having some wonky issues but didn't realize it was going away. This brings me great sadness. 😭😭😭😭😭😭 

Brittany Joiner
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 26, 2021

Update! I just noticed that chrome automatically disabled it because apparently it violates terms? But I can re-enable it by toggling it back on. (To do this, go to your chrome extension management and then search Trello and you'll see it. Click the gray toggle to turn it back on.) Sharing in case anyone else comes across this.

Screen Shot 2021-08-26 at 10.46.07 AM.png

Like # people like this
Michael Herrling August 26, 2021

Thanks. Just tried the same. It seems to work again (but the violation notice remains). Hope there will be further updates as the extension is really useful.

Jean-Pascal van der Endt August 31, 2021

Yes, the extension still works just fine if you re-enable it. 

I actually don't use the Quick-add at all, but use it to quickly search for a board by typing T <space> (trello board name) in the browser's addressbar/omnibox, which is a super fast way to get to the right Trello board. If there's an alternative for that, I'd be willing to switch.

Like derekantrican likes this

Thanks! Yes, this worked for me as well. Phew!

Mad November 30, 2021

It's Working :) 

Sam Gilbert November 30, 2021

Any tips if you deleted the Trello chrome extension? It looks to have gone from the chrome extension store?

takesia.reid December 8, 2021

I accidentally deleted mine. HELP!!! Please fix this ASAP! 

Brittany Joiner
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 8, 2021

@Sam Gilbert and @takesia.reid unfortunately i don't know how to restore it, but if you want to add a Chrome Extension called PixieBrix (it's free), you can create a similar functionality. Here's an article on how I did it: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Trello-articles/Trello-Customization-with-PixieBrix/ba-p/1857595

takesia.reid December 8, 2021

@Brittany Joiner, Unfortunately, I need the official version for Enterprise use. I was developing a use case for my corporate team. This totally shot my workflow and project to pieces. There's been a need all year. Users are wanting this back. I cannot use a third party sadly. Is there any timeline by chance? Thanks for your help. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events