Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trello Labels with Unlimited Color Selections

S B January 18, 2020

I've been using Trello for several years now—while waiting (and waiting) for an update on one of the most basic and popular Trello tools, Trello Labels and limitations on colors.

Why are we still restricted to utilizing the SAME predefined ten colors for Trello's Labels?

Currently, there are numerous other similar apps, which also provide the Labels tool—and have implemented (one of the most basic) current industry standardized features—which allows users to have an unlimited number of colors to apply to their Labels (i.e. selecting colors from a color wheel, OR simply entering in the numerical HEX value for your personal color choice.)

When can we expect to receive this update for Trello Labels? 

2 answers

1 vote
S B August 10, 2020

The following sites provide references and information, regarding Section 508 Compliancy, User Accessibility, User Accessibility Development Testing, and more. Hopefully, this will assist the Trello Team (assigned to investigate different accessibility options) by providing the additional documentation, resources, policies, and guidelines—all approved by the U.S. Federal Government.

Hopefully, this will expedite the process to—allow Trello Users to access more (than 10) colors via Trello's standard Labels feature.

Do Section 508 Accessibility Standards Apply to My Website?

https://www.section508.gov/blog/do-section-508-accessibility-standards-apply-to-mywebsite

Compliance or Conformance? 

ttps://www.section508.gov/blog/Compliance-or-Conformance

Colors and Accessibility

https://www.w3.org/WAI/WCAG21/quickref/?versions=2.0&showtechniques=141#distinguishable

0 votes
Torben_trello
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 20, 2020

The biggest reason we haven't implemented that is that for every label color, Trello also provides accessible, color-blind friendly patterns, to help those who can't detect color differences be able to differentiate label colors.

While it would be wonderful to allow any color combination for labels on Trello, we wouldn't be able to provide color-blind patterns for all of those combinations, unfortunately, and it would be especially difficult to ensure that any new, custom label color on one person's computer showed the same pattern as on another person's computer.

Our team is actively working to investigate different ways for us to both continue our accessibility pushes, as well as adding more label colors, but we'll be very careful about how that might be implemented.

chb March 21, 2020

This has been a feature request since 2017:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Trello-questions/Can-I-add-more-color-label-options-to-organize-my-cards/qaq-p/585754

There are many other potential options here that provide the user with more control: 

• have a switch that limits the palette to color-blind friendly colors
  • warn the user when they select a color that's not readily perceived by the color-blind
  • use the name of the color and not an abstract pattern to help color-blind users distinguish colors from one another

Color blindness occurs in about 6.5% to 7.5% of the population. While I understand the desire to be inclusive, limiting 92% of your user base to a set palette for this particular reason seems disingenuous given the other approaches I've outlined.

Like # people like this
S B August 10, 2020

Excellent suggestions—and with detailed supportive information. Many thanks for both, your support and feedback.

—SB

Laura Savard August 14, 2020

I'd love to see this update as well! 10 colors is so limiting and I agree that chb's suggestions are a step to a great resolution.

The Azrai November 8, 2021

Agreeing with the suggestions above, and I'd like to point out that implementing those suggestions while allowing people to custom pick colors would give users control, minimally compromising the colorblindness accessibility, while making Trello far more accessible for people with ADHD- people who are some of the most in need of organizational tools like this. 

Honestly baffling that this issue has been ongoing for so long. This much unified user feedback shouldn't be hitting a brick wall. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events