Can I add more color label options to organize my cards?

We have a fairly small editorial team for our organization's blog and we've been able to use a simple color-code system that allows us to easily see what each person is currently working on, completed, or published based on their specific color + color of status (yellow, green or red).  However, as our team grows, we've run out of color options. Are there any power-ups or other ways to get more color options added to our board? 

3 answers

Hi Kearsten,

We're not aware of any way of adding new colors to the set of labels, unfortunately! I'll pass this on to the team, though, so they can better understand how this is affecting you.

You do have the ability to add an unlimited amount of labels, including the ability to repeat colors. To make that a little clearer, there a number of Chrome extensions that will allow for the label name to be shown on the front of the card, which can help you distinguish between multiple labels of the same color: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/trelabels-for-trello/annjdmkbhchmobehkcfilecnlhibedbj?hl=en

I love this idea. We run into an issue where we have a need for a multitude of colors. Would be great to have the ability to create custom colors. 

Github is a good example of the use and need for colored labels.Screen Shot 2017-09-08 at 2.00.10 PM.png

There you go! Thx Jay!

No problem Courtney! I actually am looking at scaling our process which leverages JIRA and because I am also working on a Github project, I want to use some of Github's practices  in JIRA including the use of color lables. That is what landed me here. 

0 votes
Devon Henderson Community Champion May 16, 2017

Hello Kearsten!

If I am understanding you correctly, each team member has a color assigned to them, and then you use yellow, green, and red to signify task progress, correct?

I have a bit of an unorthodox suggestion. Perhaps you could change, just slightly, how you show your team member colors. Instead of using labels, what if you each uploaded a solid block of your own color as your Trello profile picture? So say your color is salmon pink. Instead of using a salmon pink label, you upload a solid block of salmon pink as your profile picture, and assign yourself to your cards.

This way, cards assigned to you would look like this:

ScreenClip.png

Whatever color you're assigned will be in the bottom right, and then your progress labels at the top. This allows you to essentially scale infinitely, as you can just keep creating different profile colors for people outside of Trello. It has the added benefit of enabling the various shortcuts involved with assigning yourself cards, like being able to see all of your salmon pink cards on your Cards page, as well as to filter a board to just your tasks by pressing Q.

Hope this helps!

0 votes

I have the same issue though not for the same reason. I use colors to keep things organized across multiple apps. Some of those colors exist in Trello but some do not. Adding colors of my choice would be really helpful. 

Suggest an answer

Stay in touch

Be the first to know what's trending on Atlassian Community