Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trello - Add Checklist at Top by Default?

Ken Wulf September 6, 2017

Instead of adding a Checklist at the bottom of the list of all Checklists on a card is there a way to reverse the order so added Checklist from the picker show up at the top by default? I'm trying to avoid having to drag/ drop most recently added checklists.

11 answers

4 votes
Marta Galofre de Alos
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 8, 2017

Hi Ken,

Marta here, from Trello Support.

Thanks for sharing that with us. I'm afraid it's not possible to change that behavior right now. However, I understand how this would be beneficial so I’ll pass your interest in this on to our team for consideration—let me know if there's any additional info you'd like for me to send their way.

If you're curious about how our team decides on what requests we work on, this article gives some insight into that process: http://help.trello.com/article/724-submitting-feature-requests-for-trello

To see what features our devs are currently working on, check out our dev board at http://www.trello.com/dev

Cheers,

Marta

Ken Wulf September 8, 2017

Thanks Marta-

I appreciate your swift response. And, makes me feel kinda good to know you think it's beneficial, being able to optionally add Checklists at the top of existing Checklists by default. 

Keep up the great work!

My best,

-Ken

Like Darren Stott likes this
2 votes
Sky Sorenson June 25, 2021

This is a 4 year old request, and it's one that I dearly want to see.  Please implement it!

Adam Grabel November 29, 2021

Agreed. Found this thread as I was searching for solutions too. I'll send a ticket in as well as a direct request.

Like Lindsey Taucher likes this
Ian Connel May 25, 2022

I would love for this to work. All the power of automation and this isn't yet possible.

Adam Grabel May 25, 2022

haha. Good luck and don't hold your breath. I've requested and checked on this request several times since Nov. It's not on their roadmap and there are no plans for it yet. Or they point you to a resource that tells you why some requests are priority and what priorities they're working on which is not helpful and just enables Trello to deflect.

I also recommended that they could add a feature to click+drag on a checklist item so you could duplicate it anywhere in the checklist. The response was 'cool idea' but never any commitment. Not even to just default items to the top. I also don't know why this simple but important feature can't be developed sooner. Seems like plenty of people need it.

Sky Sorenson May 25, 2022

Adam, that is exactly why I just spent money on a Zoho account and won't be renewing my Trello.

Like Adam Grabel likes this
Adam Grabel May 25, 2022

Sky, we've been using Zoho for over a year and have detailed integrations between Trello and Zoho. We use Trello for certain types of file management and checklists which is important for our work. Trello doesn't seem to think this specific feature in the checklists is a priority.

2 votes
Ismael February 10, 2021

Adding checklists at the top of existing ones automatically would be very useful indeed

2 votes
Marhiz Medalla December 14, 2020

Is there an update to this feature bringing the checklist on top?

2 votes
Henrik Petersson March 7, 2020

Yes, this must be implemented. It is limiting me incredible much in the way I am using cards and checklists right now, to the extent I am considering changing from Trello to something else.

Please take this request serious!

2 votes
Enrique Arroyo February 17, 2020

Hi,

I, I suggest as well that Trello implements this option for having the new checklists on top of the card.

THanks!

0 votes
William
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
December 15, 2023

I see this issue was first raised in 2017, and I would like to add my voice to it now in (December) 2023... over five years later!

I'm a complete layman in what it takes to implement changes on a platform like Trello, but this seems like it would be a relatively simple change to make.

Because of how inconvenient it is to have the checklists generate at the bottom, I have taken the time to look for solutions here, and as a result discovered that: a) there is currently no solution, b) requests for a solution have been ignored for over five years, and c) there are alternative platforms available. 

Question for Trello, why shouldn't I switch over to an alternative platform? 

@Ken Wulf you a Trello guy? You still work there five years after the question was asked?

0 votes
Ismael December 15, 2022

Hi everyone!

Do we have any update on this request?

It doesn't seem so demanding to implement yet could save us some time when organizing checklists.

0 votes
Basavaraj K N July 2, 2021

If it is badly needed, i have a workaround which i use, when I have add a checklist

This is not straight forward and not using browser but via the API (curl request) from browser u can check and note the CardID (use network tab when u open card, u will be able to make out which is the card ID)

The below API call adds a checkinglist to the top as we mention `pos=top`  

curl --request POST --url 'https://api.trello.com/1/checklists?idCard=<Card ID>&name=<URL Encoded name or name without space>&pos=top&key=<Your API Key>&token=<Your API Token>'

You can generate your api token from here https://trello.com/app-key, look for "you can manually generate a Token."

Hope it helps

Not sure why Trello does not support this on UI, as they already have API support for it.

0 votes
luyanda45 April 15, 2019

Hi Marta

I would like to re-iterate the need for the option to have new checklists go to the top of the card.

I have also sent a feature request email to the email address in the link you attached.

Hoping this feature gets implemented as soon as possible.

0 votes
Hannes J January 18, 2018

@Ken Wulf If you want to invest some time figuring out about Butler for Trello, then this might be a solution: https://www.reddit.com/r/trello/comments/6qxfyw/adding_a_new_checklist_to_the_top/

It does not work for me as I need the "add checklist to top of card" functionality on demand and not for all cards.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events