Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Filter Button disappeared.

Danny Fisher-Bruns January 4, 2019

My filter button, which I used to use on a daily basis, has suddenly disappeared from the menu. This hasn't happened to any of my coworkers who use the same board. 

See below for a screenshot. Filter used to be right there between stickers and change background (Also, it does not show up when I click More either)

Any advice on how to get the Filter button back?

Screen Shot 2019-01-04 at 9.38.35 AM.png

12 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Devon Henderson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 6, 2019

Hi @Danny Fisher-Bruns!

It looks like they’re playing with changing the UI a bit. Next to your search box, do you see that funnel icon/button? I’d hazard a guess that’s where the Filter option went (I’m assuming it’s being A/B tested, as I don’t have it to confirm my suspicion either way).

Hope this helps!

Danny Fisher-Bruns January 7, 2019

Wow! That's it!

I never would have noticed that. So, I guess this is good A/B testing feedback if Trello is listening -- the old layout made a lot more sense to me 

Schalk Lubbe February 10, 2019

Thanks Devon. I have the same issue, but in my case there is no search box either, as per the image below.

Any further suggestions?

TrelloFilterGone.png

Devon Henderson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 12, 2019

Hi @Schalk Lubbe! Oh goodness, it looks like yours has a "Search Cards" in its place. I think they must be testing effective placement for these things. Does the Filter Cards show if you click "More"?

Like Kelly Gurr likes this
Schalk Lubbe February 12, 2019

Hi Devon,

No, the filter cards does not show when I click "More."

But, thanks to your comment about the "Search cards!" If I click that, it looks like I was used to it looking before. I can filter on both labels and people.

Thanks for your help!

Like Devon Henderson likes this
Nathan Sears May 16, 2019

No filter or search option.jpgThe UI changes are getting pretty frustrating especially with the filter option which is one of the most used features for our team.  My boards have now had the ability to filter removed completely.

Like # people like this
Deleted user May 16, 2019

Same here - this is very irritating!

Like Steven Llewellyn likes this
pmags May 16, 2019

Same... They just removed probably one of the most important feature. Now our team has to go through dozens of cards to check the ones that apply to them...

Hope it changes soon

Like # people like this
fiona dower May 3, 2020

did anyone get this resolved? what a hassle... poor design if its hidden elsewhere

9 votes
Valentina Osorio May 17, 2019

Hey guys! FOUND THE SOLUTION, same thing happened to me, filter completely disappeared but found a way to keep using it on the trello help page using keyboard shortcuts "To open the card filter menu, use the "f" keyboard shortcut. To filter only your cards, using the "q" keyboard shortcut. To remove all filters, use the "x" keyboard shortcut."

Miroslav Kostov May 17, 2019

You deserve a medal !

Lara Allen June 6, 2019

Thank you for this workaround. 

Does anyone from Trello monitor this page so that they can receive all of this good feedback? 

CThobbyist June 6, 2019

Thanks, I stumbled into this solution on my own by selecting "Search Cards" from the main Menu.  You'd think Atlassian would update their documentation in sync with such changes.

Mikael Byström February 11, 2020

"f" now simply shows "Search cards", even as the shortcuts page calls it filtering. Searching for example a Custom Field value works here unlike with the search box. Why that is, I don't know, but it must be confusing for newcomers searching works differently in these two places.

https://trello.com/shortcuts

Like ronaldb likes this
fiona dower May 3, 2020

you do deserve a medal! thank you! atlassian any chance you can make this more obvious. spent a good bit of time trying to find where the filter icon went. now we know its just disappeared completely

Lara Allen May 4, 2020

If you just read through this thread, you would see that they changed the wording from "filter" to "search cards." No workaround needed. This was resolved over a year ago.

Fiona Dower May 4, 2020

Excuse me I had read the entire thread. Filter & search are totally different. My request is to put the filter button back as having to search online to be told its disappeared & fn F is the solution is not a great customer experience

But thanks so much for your 2 bob. This suggestion was meant more for Atlassian 

Also an option to FILTER out cards would be good. 

6 votes
mcihanozer June 5, 2019

This is the most idiotic thing I have ever faced. I hope you guys fix it and bring it back asap. Nobody ain't got time for this new system.

6 votes
Steve Slater May 16, 2019

Glad to know I'm not alone. Please return the filter...or tell us where it's now hidden.

1 vote
Lara Allen June 13, 2019

I emailed support and they got right back to me. After telling me it's now called "Search Cards", he said, "Sorry to catch you off-guard—our team recently made a change, renaming that Filter feature to Search Cards. The feature works just the same way, only the name has changed!" I told him people on the community chat are all up in arms about it. He said, "Oh no, I hope they're not too upset! You're always welcome to toss our email (support@trello.com) into the chat and we'll be happy to explain the feature change to anyone who has concerns. :) "

I can't believe they don't have someone from the company that actually has the answers to our questions monitoring this chat! This is basically useless with all of us users just going round and round trying to figure things out that can easily be answered by the people who actually make the changes!

Miroslav Kostov June 13, 2019

Use the "F" shortcut that is how I managed to deal with this.

Mikael Byström February 11, 2020

You actually don't need to use the "f" as it's the "Search Cards" option that is visible now at least.

1 vote
Grace Lee May 17, 2019

I have encountered the same problem as well, the search bar and filter had suddenly disappeared. I managed to find a solution by using the hotkey - pressing "f". 
But it's still of great inconvenience and I hope it gets fixed soon!

Claudio Pisanu May 21, 2019

thank you! it helped me!

0 votes
Le Ngoc Quoc KHANH June 13, 2019

I cannot find Filter icon anywhere, either in 'Show Menu' or next to main Search Box. This is so irritating!

Lara Allen June 13, 2019

It's now called "Search Cards" or you can get to it by pressing "f" from your board.

Like Mikael Byström likes this
0 votes
m_wittmann May 17, 2019

While the "f" keyboard shortcut works great (for now!) I wonder what the heck is up... Why eliminate this from the UI? Is Atlassian/Trello planning to do away with the filter function altogether in the future?

Does Atlassian monitor and respond to these threads?

0 votes
Miroslav Kostov May 17, 2019

Same here, I know it changed places, I searched it everywhere ... I have no filtering capabilities whatsoever as of today.

0 votes
Javier De la Cueva May 17, 2019

Same here, I do really need that function, that's probably the main reason for me to use trello... 

0 votes
m_wittmann May 17, 2019

The filter box also just disappeared from my Trello board menu, and it's nowhere to be found... not under the "... More" menu. Very strange! WTF Trello! Fortunately, the "f" hotkey still works and shows the filter menu.

0 votes
Steven Llewellyn May 16, 2019

I was just about to raise the same question! My filter button has disappeared which led to a very embarrassing meeting and also unproductive! 

Steven Llewellyn May 16, 2019

How do we get this noticed and an issue raised with Trello?

Lara Allen June 13, 2019

Just email support@trello.com. They are very responsive, but no one from there monitors these boards.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events