Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

Syncing custom field data to linked card

Is there a way, using Butler, to sync a change in a custom field to a linked card?

I attempted put an automation rule that went something like this:

When a custom field (custom field is called Weight) is set,

then for each linked card
set custom field "Weight" to {{%weight}}

That seems to not work (I think it is taking the variable from the linked card itself, which means it may be just changing it to the number it already is....

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Hannah Morgan Community Leader Sep 13, 2021

Try this: 

Screenshot 2021-09-14 104119.png
You'll want to be aware of looping though. Depending on how you've set things up, you'd want a way to differentiate the original trigger card from the rest. For example, you might want to have the original card in the "A" list, and all the linked cards are in the "B" list. In the rule, the trigger would be "When a custom field is set to Priority in a card in the "A" list." That way the rule doesn't trigger for all the cards in the "B" list as well.

Thanks, Hannah -

Question for you about your solution. Would {customfieldvalue} variable in the action have the value of the custom field in the trigger card? Or would it have the value of that particular custom field in the linked card?

Hannah Morgan Community Leader Sep 13, 2021

For me it copied it from the trigger card. I initially had the variable set to {triggercustomfieldvalue}, but it didn't work.

Like Hal Atkins likes this

Hi Hannah! Would there also be a way to make this rule go the other way--so that the trigger card receives the {customfieldvalue} from the attached card?

Hannah Morgan Community Leader Mar 01, 2022

Hey @Ethan Stocking-Anderson ! Just saw your comment - I also replied to your post here :) 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Posted in Trello

Taco Tuesday: New years' resolutions with Trello

Congratulations to @Laura Holton , our latest winner of Taco Tuesday! And thanks to @Kristján Geir Mathiesen for sharing the picture of Taco having fun with his new friend  B...

2,352 views 28 40
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you