Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Syncing custom field data to linked card

Hal Atkins September 13, 2021

Is there a way, using Butler, to sync a change in a custom field to a linked card?

I attempted put an automation rule that went something like this:

When a custom field (custom field is called Weight) is set,

then for each linked card
set custom field "Weight" to {{%weight}}

That seems to not work (I think it is taking the variable from the linked card itself, which means it may be just changing it to the number it already is....

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Hannah Humbert - Simpla Workflows
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 13, 2021

Try this: 

Screenshot 2021-09-14 104119.png
You'll want to be aware of looping though. Depending on how you've set things up, you'd want a way to differentiate the original trigger card from the rest. For example, you might want to have the original card in the "A" list, and all the linked cards are in the "B" list. In the rule, the trigger would be "When a custom field is set to Priority in a card in the "A" list." That way the rule doesn't trigger for all the cards in the "B" list as well.

Hal Atkins September 13, 2021

Thanks, Hannah -

Question for you about your solution. Would {customfieldvalue} variable in the action have the value of the custom field in the trigger card? Or would it have the value of that particular custom field in the linked card?

Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 13, 2021

For me it copied it from the trigger card. I initially had the variable set to {triggercustomfieldvalue}, but it didn't work.

Like Hal Atkins likes this
Ethan Stocking-Anderson March 1, 2022

Hi Hannah! Would there also be a way to make this rule go the other way--so that the trigger card receives the {customfieldvalue} from the attached card?

Community Leader
Community Leader
March 1, 2022

Hey @Ethan Stocking-Anderson ! Just saw your comment - I also replied to your post here :) 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events