Syncing custom fields from attached card

Ethan Stocking-Anderson February 28, 2022

Hello. I have two boards, and I want some custom fields from Board 2 to reference identical custom fields from Board 1. I'd like to achieve this by attaching a card from Board 1 to a card from Board 2, and having the desired custom fields copy over from the attachment to the trigger card. Here's what I have so far:

when an attachment is added to a card by me, lookup the first card linked in the attachments, set custom field "Producer" to "{customfieldvalue}", set custom field "Editor" to "{customfieldvalue}", set custom field "Camera" to "{customfieldvalue}"

The activity indicates that the appropriate custom fields from the appropriate card (the trigger card, not the attachment) is being updated--but it still doesn't reflect the desired values from the attachment card. There must be something simple I'm missing!

Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you!

1 answer

0 votes
Hannah Humbert - Simpla Workflows
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 1, 2022

Hi @Ethan Stocking-Anderson ! Welcome to the community :) Maybe someone else can help, but I don't think it'll be easy to set up. You can use butler to "sync" custom fields between cards, but it's a bit limited. I believe this only works when the trigger is based on a custom field. For example, "when the "Priority" custom field is set in a card". When that happens, you can then copy the value from the custom field into a linked card.

I couldn't see an easy way to say something like "when two cards are linked, take the custom field value from one card and copy it to the other card".

Are you able to expand a bit more on your workflow? Maybe there's another way to approach it?

Ethan Stocking-Anderson March 4, 2022

Thank you so much for your thoughtful reply Hannah, that helps to know that they will only sync when the trigger comes from a custom field. I rethought how I would tackle this and I decided that it would be best not to even bother syncing the custom fields, since I can make the most important custom fields appear directly on the card which is visible in the window of the card it is attached to.

As far as my workflow goes, I have two boards, one for "shoots" and one for "edits". And I needed a way to link cards from shoots to cards from the correlating edit on the other board. The best way I've found to do that is to make a "shoots" checklist on the edit cards, and each checklist item automatically becomes a card on the other board. It looks something like this, just in case this would benefit anyone else:

when an item is added to checklist "SHOOTS" by anyone, convert the item to a linked card in list "SHOOT_REQUESTED" using pattern "[{cardname} - _SHOOT_STATUS]({cardlink})" copying labels and members, move the card to the top of list "SHOOT_REQUESTED", and move the card to the top of list "SHOOT_REQUESTED" on board "_SHOOT_STATUS"

Hannah Humbert - Simpla Workflows
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 7, 2022

@Ethan Stocking-Anderson Gotcha! Yes, that sounds like the simplest solution for your workflow. When the linked card is completed, have you set things up so that the linked checklist item completes as well? 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events