cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Split Card according to comments

axel_beyer May 7, 2021

Hi there,

I wonder if this is possible:

Imagine one person is collecting different "findings" of a certain case on a Trello card, documented by a named screenshot (in separate comments). It's nice to have everything compact in one card as the findings are typically quite similar and fit thematically under the same heading. Then, in a meeting with others, it is discussed what to do with the cases and sometimes it turns out that some findings are handled differently than others. At that point it would be nice to have a card button that can split up the (original) parent card and place each comment (incl. named screenshot) in a new child card.
Ideally, a child card is named the same as the parent card, followed by ": " and then the title/name of the screenshot.

I know this is super complex and I wonder if this can be done with Trello. We could also think of a different workflow involving checklists but please note that it is of essence to have these screenshots, as they say more than a thousand words  ;-)

One alternative I could thinking of is maybe instead of pasting the screenshot into a new comment on the parent card, it might be more helpful to have a card button creating a new card, exactly named as the parent card, and pasting the screenshot into the comment of the child card. But it would be desired that the only instance of that child card is located "inside of the parent card" until another Card Button is taking the child card out of the parent card and placing it in the list. But that might be even harder to achieve...

I would appreciate your thoughts and suggestions.
Thanks in advance.

1 answer

0 votes
milynnus
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 7, 2021

@axel_beyer 

Why not just create the screenshot as new cards and add card links as checklist item on the parent card.

axel_beyer May 7, 2021

Hi, that seems to be the easiest solution but is unfortunately not so convenient as you would need to type in the heading for each new card again and also several custom fields would need to be set in the child card, matching the parent card.

We can generalize the question to "how to selectively extract comments (incl. pictures) from a card and make individual cards out of it, in the same list."

milynnus
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 7, 2021

@axel_beyer 

The use of cardlinks is to avoid duplicating data. I have not come across what you want to do with comments. There are only {commenttext} the text of the comment {commentlink} a link to the comment

You might have to use webhook with some code using trello api. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events