Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting Up a Board, I need different custom fields

Yasemin Manavbaşı September 19, 2022

Hi, Thanks for the support first of all. 

Custom field problem....

I also read the discussions but I cannot find a solution to my problem. 

I have 20+ projects each having 3 subtasks. These subtask cards need to have  different custom fields from each other. Which means I need to have different cards in ONE board. Which I cannot create.. Custom fields selection applies to ALL THE CARD ON ONE BOARD. 

Then whats the purpose of "make template" option. Well, I know that make template is thou, I need more flexibility than this. 

What I believe is that tere must be something wrong with me that I cannot create that. 

I dont understand to use the same set of custom fields for ONE Board. Well, obviously I am not an PMP, then I asked to a PMP, she approved my intention to be right from PM point of view. 

I can only adapt my project by having 3 boards ( 3 subtasks) with 20+ cards which doesnt solve my problem... I cannot follow my business this way. 

I do hope that I overlooked a solution. How can I proceed  ?

If I cannot create this I donnow how to use trello for my business. I am looking forward to hearing from you. 

all the best, y

2 answers

0 votes
Allen -Amazing PowerUps-
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 19, 2022

As you noted, the Amazing Fields powerup does support this type of usecase through field visibility.  Feel free to followup with me through the embedded help with any issues you run into using it.

Yasemin Manavbaşı September 21, 2022

@Allen -Amazing PowerUps- Hi Allen, we have already started using your plug in :)) THANKS A LOT. Amazing Fields solved our template problem. 

I wonder if we can make search within amazing field categories. 
Right now I couldnt see my Amazing Field entries on the calendar. Nor I can make search within "drop down choices" .

This will be end of all our suffering :-) 

All the best 
 y

Allen -Amazing PowerUps-
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 21, 2022

Trello only searches through specific parts of board data and powerup data is not one of those parts.  Oddly card descriptions also aren't filtered/searched from what I can tell.

But custom fields can be.  So what I have in place is a way to sync some of your Amazing Fields to custom fields and then hide them when using the board.  (see: https://docs.amazingpowerups.com/article/17-how-to-search-filter-and-sort-amazing-field-data and https://docs.amazingpowerups.com/article/13-custom-field-integration)

Yasemin Manavbaşı September 23, 2022

Hi again, 

We would like to connect amazing fields with custom fields.

BUT I dont want to see all connected custom field placeholders on every card then.

Thanks,

y

Allen -Amazing PowerUps-
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 23, 2022

See the browser extensions reference in the documentation: https://docs.amazingpowerups.com/article/13-custom-field-integration

If you are running one of the big three browsers (Chrome, Firefox, Edge), you can install the Amazing Fields extension which is designed to hide these fields for you automatically.

Yasemin Manavbaşı October 1, 2022

Hi again,

We are quite happy with Amazing fields, thou fields do not appear on mobile. 

What shall we do? 

thanks in advance,

y

Allen -Amazing PowerUps-
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 1, 2022

Trello doesn't allow powerups to extend their mobile clients.  But I put in place a solution that integrates Amazing Fields with Trello custom fields that do work there.  (See:  https://docs.amazingpowerups.com/article/14-how-to-edit-fields-in-the-trello-mobile)

You can also just use the standard webapp on your mobile devices if you want to try it that way.

Yasemin Manavbaşı October 1, 2022

Thanks for the quick answer.  We ll keep the webapp,

best

y

0 votes
milynnus
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 19, 2022

@Yasemin Manavbaşı 

Custom field definition is held at the board level hence all cards on the board will have a placeholder for each of the custom fields. You can set values to those you need based on the subtask type. 

Not sure Amazing Fields power up has the capability you are seeking. Check it up. 

Thanks I am gonna check it up.

But I wonder if I am the only one whose board suffers from this. 

Is my thinking wrong then? ..

@milynnus 

THANKS HEAPS! With amazing fields I have "make visible" option which seems like solving my problem..

Can I make searches based on these fields then in my board? 

cheers !

y

milynnus
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 2, 2022

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events