Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Searching for lists by name

PCJ52 May 4, 2018

I  just finished setting up an extensive set of Lists on a Board. After doing so I was very surprised to discover that Lists cannot be search for by name. I was so surprised that I feel that I must be mistaken. Is it possible that a key component of the system can't be searched?  

Any help is greatly appreciated.

I should mention that I have a couple of work arounds. I have added the name of each list as the first card in the list so the search will work, but it is far from ideal.

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Stef
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 6, 2018

Hi PCJ! 👋

I did some digging around and it looks like Trello's Search feature works only for when you need to search for cards within a list. It doesn't actually display the list name in the results. Is the latter option what you were looking for?    

There's a special operator where if you use list:name of list it'll pull up all of the cards within that specific list. I tried with one of my boards (list:Vintage Classics) and Trello did pull up the three cards under that list, even if it didn't have "Vintage Classics" in the card name. 🙂

PCJ52 May 6, 2018

HI Stephanie Alexis, 

Thank you for taking the time to research my issue. For some reason, I can't duplicate your results unless there is a card in the list containing the search phrases. If I could figure out what I'm doing wrong, your solution would be a good work around. Thanks again for the effort.

Stef
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 6, 2018

I tried searching with list:name with my other lists and their respective cards are showing up. Since I don't have access to your board, you can share a screen recording of how you use the search operator and that it doesn't show the cards within the list. I can then take a look. 🙂

One thing I noticed is if the list name has two or more words in it, and you search using the list:name operator, only some or none of the cards show up. For example, list:Roald Dahl only shows 2/5 cards, while list:Roald shows 5/5. Is your experience similar to this? 

PCJ52 May 7, 2018

Attached is a screen shot of my search for list:Auto Repair       As you can see, the list is there but I can't make it appear in my search. I have a (somewhat clumsy) work around by making the first card in my list have the same name as the list itself (in the attached screen shot there is an example of that just to the right of my "Auto Repair" list)

I checked your original reply as an accepted solution since it should work. There may be something amiss on my end, but I'm ready to move on using the workaround, unless you can see something I'm missing.

Thanks for all your help.

Selection_004.png

Stef
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 7, 2018

Oh, I see the problem now. The list Auto Repair is empty, and since Trello Search pulls up cards (it can't display lists alone), there wouldn't be any results to show since the list doesn't have any. If you add a couple of cards to it, and try the list:name operator again, cards should appear this time around. 🙂

PCJ52 May 8, 2018

Thank you for not giving up, but I'm afraid I got the same results (screen print below). I mystified, but after discussing this with you I realized that even if I'm successful, the search is still a bit awkward. Rather than try to bend the system to fit my vision, I've come up with something that works using available functions. I've created a "Team" where previously I had a "Board", and "Board" where I previously had a "List".  This allows me to do the searches that I want. I always thought of a Team as being people, but this really works for me. Thanks again for the help. Talking about it helped steer me in the right direction.

Selection_005.png

Stef
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 8, 2018

You're welcome, and I'm glad you settled on a workaround that fits your needs! It can be frustrating when the apps we use aren't working as it should, but I'm glad I could at least help bounce ideas off with you. 

See you around the Trello community! 😊

Mariam Odintsova November 5, 2018

Hi

I dicovered that if you type   * list:name  Trello searches all cards in this list name. I've found it very helpfull.

/Mariam

1 vote
Anton Rastyapin February 2, 2023

Ctr+F

Ivor Purser October 17, 2023

This works for me!

Like • Angela King likes this
Angela King
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 10, 2024

THANK YOU!!!! Perfect solution!

0 votes
Bob Timmermans September 8, 2023

Thank you for the 'work around'. Nonetheless I am stil hoping/waiting for the improvement by Trello for the search function to be updated. 

0 votes
Neven Višić February 14, 2021

Hello,

since free Trello cannot have unlimited boards anymore, I needed to start using many lists instead. Is it really possible that search panel on system like this cannot find list names? Why is that so hard? If it can search all cards it surely could be searching lists too. And is it possible to sort those lists in alphabetical order?

Sincerely,

Neven

PCJ52 February 15, 2021

Incredibly, I don't know of any convenient way to search for lists other than the very awkward methods listed above. I don't understand why such a useful function is not available.

Good luck

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events