Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prevent looping Trello automation when using several tag automations for lists on the same board

Julius Fondem
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 19, 2024

Hi! I'm trying to use Trello's automation to manage a social media post board. The idea is to have a list for each social media platform (Twitter, FB, IG, Tiktok etc.) and then have each social media post be its own card. However, we often end up posting the same social media post on multiple different channels.

To help with this, I created labels to denote the different social media platforms and created an automation like this: "when the dark yellow "Tiktok" label is added to a card by anyone, copy the card to the top of list "Tiktok" on board "Social Media Posts" and link the cards together". I then created such an automation for each of the social media platforms and the idea would be that I could create one card in the board, use the labels to denote which platforms the post is going to, and then have the cards be linked.

However, with several of these social media platform automations, this unfortunately becomes an automation loop where cards will just get added over and over to the same lists until Trello stops the automation from looping any further. I tried modifying the automation to be this but the issue still remains: "when the dark yellow "Tiktok" label is added to a card not in list "Tiktok" by anyone, copy the card to the top of list "Tiktok" on board "Social Media Posts" and link the cards together".

What I essentially want is to be able to create a card on any of the lists in the board, decide which tags to add based on which social media platforms the post will go on, and then have the card be copied to the corresponding social media platforms in the list in this same board, and only have it do this once to avoid the endless looping and multiple copies of cards in the same list. Any idea how I could resolve this?

1 answer

0 votes
Renato Fagaraz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 22, 2024

Hi, Julius!

This sounds like a great automation that you're building yourself, it might just need a couple of tweaks!

From what I'm reading, it sounds like having a centralized list for posts to be put on before moving to their respective social media lists could work for you. With this, you could set one of the restrictions on your trigger, to be specifically on this centralized, dedicated list. Let me show you what I'm thinking of:

img.png

For this reference flow, I created the rules:

when the blue "Facebook" label is added to a card in list "Post", remove the blue "Facebook" label from the card, and copy the card to the top of list "Facebook"
when the dark black "Tiktok" label is added to a card in list "Post", remove the dark black "Tiktok" label from the card, and copy the card to the top of list "TikTok"

Once you've added each tag and the cards got replicated to the lists you want, you can just archive the original and keep the list clean for new posts to come in. 

Let me know if that works, and if you need any further help, hopefully this is what you're looking for!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events