Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Powerup for easy formatting of text/rich text editor

Jonathan September 29, 2019

Hello,

I'm aware of the ways to format text in trello described in this guide.

However, I wonder if there's a powerup/extension that enable easier, more intuitive formatting. Like linking to a website via an icon of a link, or a keyboard shortcut like Ctrl+K.

Thanks,

Jonathan

1 answer

3 votes
Torben_trello
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 1, 2019

Right now, we do only offer the mentioned markup to format text in Trello. I'll let our team know, that you are looking for something more visual.

Deleted user June 5, 2020

Hello,

Do you have any news on this subject ?

I would like to use trello but the absence of a richtext editor is really something blocking me. I don't see the non-tech teams using pure markdown.

Thanks,

Romaric

Elena Caramanico June 18, 2020

any update?

Daniel Keebler August 11, 2020

Following.  I made the decision to have an assistant move all my tasks from Jira to Trello because I'm not in software development nor do I use Jira's Project Management lingo so Jira was too complicated. 

Unfortunately...now I shockingly realized that Trello uses Markdown only!  I thought this must be a mistake.  Nope.  I will now have to tell my non-techy assistant to tediously edit all my Descriptions using markdown???  As I said on another thread about this topic, this is akin to placing a brick wall on the productivity highway.  With all the lovely Trello keyboard shortcuts and ease of use, I can't figure out why there's not WYSIWYG editor for descriptions and comments. 

It's 2020.  People copy & paste from emails, from Google Docs, from web articles, from all over.  Then Trello strips all formatting.  Copy and paste with formatting please.

Sorry for the "attitude" - I'm just shocked.

Like Bruce Wang likes this
Ann Ray May 12, 2021

Any update on this? Aside from not wanting to bother with learning a markdown just for my task notes, the syntax you use interferes with my manually adding emphasis via characters like asterisks or >>. 

Naveed Ausaf November 11, 2021

Even if you know markdown really well, the editing facilities in Description field are terrible:

• There is a hard limit of ~16384 character. This is quickly reached on a card, e.g. a project, in which detail gets added overtime (e.g. a diary of events pertaining to the project).
  • As soon as you go to edit something in a Description field where there's a fair bit of text, it's very difficult to locate exactly where you wanted to make the edit as all the formatting suddenly disappears.
  • Writing down the edits purely in Markdown can be painful in a moderately sized Description field.

What is needed is a simple text field that accepts markdown (which is already the current state of the feature) but which can evolve into a fully fledged document (bit like Google docs) that can be edited using a rich text editor (even if the text is stored in Markdown in the background) and which shows a table of contents (this can be deduced from H1-H6 in markdown) to the left of the editing/rendered text area for easy navigation. 

As things stand, I am on the verge of switching to a competitor after having used Trello for years because this and other problems keep getting in the way and even after paying upwards of $12/mo just in the powerups (plus Trello Gold subscription), I can't get basic, reasonable features that should be provided out of the box.

Mark Duralde April 20, 2022

Any updates on this? it would be a BIG time-saver to not have to write markdown all the time. Just a simple rich text editor like the one i'm using right here would be great!

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events