Possible to trigger a butler rule on a drag n drop event moving a card to top of list

Steve Bower May 28, 2021

Hello, I'd like to maintain a "Do Today" list of cards in "Board 1".   I'd like to populate this list with butler copying cards from other lists based on their positions as I drag and drop them around.

Whenever I move a card into the top position (or even one of the top two positions) on any list in any of my boards, I'd like it to fire a trigger copying that card to "Board 1/Do Today".

So, essentially, I'm looking for a way to trigger an event when a drag and drop of a card puts that card at the top of a list.  

Is this possible?  Any other ways of accomplishing this same thing only using Drag and Drop.  (I know I could add a button, however, I prioritize my work by moving things to the tops of various lists.)

Thanks.

1 answer

0 votes
Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 28, 2021

@Steve Bower it's not possible with Butler, but there is a notification sent to webhooks when cards change position. It might be very easy to accidentally trigger though. Is there a reason you don't want to use adding a label to trigger this instead?

Steve Bower May 28, 2021

Thanks for your reply @Iain Dooley .

It's really just the way I prefer to work.   I have many boards and many lists on each board and I need to re-prioritize frequently.   The easiest thing for me is to simply prioritize within each list by dragging the cards I need to work on next up to the top of each list.   

It's simple, intuitive, and is also something I can do without having to open the card/menu, make a selection, hit save, etc.   Adding a label is 5 clicks which are totally unnecessary.   Once I've moved my items around a Card Button can let me do it in two clicks, but why should I have to.   The act of moving the cards around to create my ordered list is all I really want to have to do.

Having a "shadow-list" which just gathers the first item from all my other lists as things change is what I'm looking for.

If {card_position_in_list} existed as a card variable we could use, then I think that would solve the problem.   Perhaps a feature request.  :-)

Thanks!

Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 29, 2021

@Steve Bower You can actually add labels by just hitting the "l" (lower case L) key on the keyboard then starting to type the name of the label and hitting enter and escape, so once you're hovering over a card it's zero clicks to add labels :)

Anyway sure you could put it in as a feature request, I think the movement of card positions within a list is probably not a trigger that they'll add in a hurry because it's so easy to accidentally move cards vertically in a list, but it's worth submitting it!

Steve Bower May 29, 2021

@Iain Dooley Thanks for the shortcuts.   I understand the options with labels, however I find it to be an extra "layer" of information.  I mean, if we're going to have lists, and it's super-easy to move things around on the lists, then why not take advantage of them.  Organizing cards in the lists is the exact prioritization scheme I need.  Why layer another on top of it.  :-)    (I'm sure other users have different needs, teams, assignments, etc. but for me, it's so straightforward.)

I'm new to the Trello community but I think I'll make the feature request and see if it ever comes to pass.   

I would think that moving cards around in the list is a key function and something people really use as an important organizing principle.  Perhaps not, but I certainly do.

I understand your thinking that a trigger on drag and drop might be fired to frequently, but perhaps they can limit it to one or two "drag and drop triggers" in the enter account as opposed to allowing multiples.   I'm sure there's some clever way to throttle it so the load doesn't swamp everything else.

Thanks!

Like Iain Dooley likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events