Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Organize boards in groups

Lauren Kidd July 22, 2020

I want to be able to organize my boards into categories. I couldn't figure out how to do it other than to create "teams". But I don't need people on boards and the "team" section only lets you add 10 boards before they charge you to upgrade to business class. Again, I don't want to pay to have "people" on a team when im not making teams. I'm simply trying to sort my boards so that I can see more of them. I have 40+ personal boards and they are getting lost in the "view more".  

Is there a way to categories them in "folders" rather than teams?  CAN this be something added if it's not something currently available.  I mean, you can sort in teams, it seems there should be a way to sort personal boards in sections too. Am I simply overlooking this function somewhere? 

2 answers

0 votes
Esme Crutchley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 23, 2020

Hi @Lauren Kidd 

Welcome to the Community!

Unfortunately, there isn't.

However, at the moment, it is possible to have more than 1 free team (I don't know if this is going to be the case forever, but at the moment it's possible). Yes, there is a limit to 10 boards per free team, but there currently isn't a limit to the number of free teams you can have.

You don't have to add people, you could use free teams as a way to organise your own boards (without adding anyone - having teams of 1, you). Simply create 4 (or however many) free teams you need and organise your boards into those. Like I said, at the moment you can create multiple free teams, but I don't know if this is something that's likely to disappear in the future. Then, treat those 'free teams' as folders.

I have a couple of 'free teams' with only me in them, and it's just a way for me to visually organise boards into a folder structure, similar to what you're wanting to do.

Just to add to @Michael Pryor's suggestion of a naming convention, it might seem random, but use emoji's! If you have some boards that naturally belong together, put an emoji at the beginning of the board name, and they will group together because of the emoji being at the front of the board name. I know it might not help as you have 40+ boards, but it's something to consider. Boards with emoji's at the beginning of the title will naturally be at the bottom of the list, below any boards that start with a letter or number, and certain emoji will come before others.

Hope that's helpful!

Esme :)

0 votes
Michael Pryor
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 22, 2020

Our Business Class product has Collections which was built to solve this purpose. 

The other option is to use a naming convention like adding a word to the beginning of boards: FOLDERA_Board1

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events