Next:
badges earned

Your Points Tracker
Challenges
Leaderboard
  • Global
  • Feed

Badge for your thoughts?

You're enrolled in our new beta rewards program. Join our group to get the inside scoop and share your feedback.

Join group
Recognition
Give the gift of kudos
You have 0 kudos available to give
Who do you want to recognize?
Why do you want to recognize them?
Kudos
Great job appreciating your peers!
Check back soon to give more kudos.

Past Kudos Given
No kudos given
You haven't given any kudos yet. Share the love above and you'll see it here.

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Night Mode for Trello

How come Trello has no official Nightmode?

45 answers

1 accepted

26 votes
Answer accepted
Torben Atlassian Team Sep 25, 2018

It's not something that we currently offer. But I'll let our team know, that you would be interested in this.

Not only him -like everyone. 

Like # people like this

It's been quite some time now since this feature was first requested. I think it's vital to let people work in night mode, because developers are a core userbase for trello, and we love dark or night modes universally. It would make your product so much easier on the eyes to use at night.

Like # people like this

Please add dark mode or night mode not only for aesthetic reasons because it would just look cleaner and better, not just to actually fit in with all of the other Apps and the Operating System itself macOS, not just to save battery life on OLED screens because black/dark OLED displays save power and the environment by extension, BUT ALSO for health reasons. The glare of staring at bright backgrounds is very hard on the eyes. 

Like # people like this

Honestly i think putting it on the phone was an OK move but i guess most people use PC so it doesn't change anything. Still love Trello though ;)

Like # people like this

Bump. Please, please bring dark mode to the Mac OS app.

Like # people like this

I cast 3 votes from my team for dark mode for Mac OS desktop app! 
Maybe a simple custom theme option too, like Slack does, very basic but does the job!

Like # people like this

@Torben It's been 2 years since you've let your product management team know about this feature request. A vital feature like dark mode shouldn't take this long to be delivered. Please bring dark mode to the trello macOS and windows desktop app at the earliest.

Like # people like this

The web site and mobile app both have dark mode. Why not the desktop app? Seems like a disconnect within their own ecosystem. 

Like # people like this

Completely agree that this is important. The Windows app works great, but it NEEDS a dark mode, and one that is integrated with windows i.e. it works based on the setting in control panel. This is not a big ask, guys. Please take a look, it would make a lot of people happy.

Like Antoine T likes this

So how bout that dark mode? 

Like Antoine T likes this
Antoine T I'm New Here Dec 01, 2020

Would love it as a 2020 Christmas gift 

Scorch I'm New Here Dec 08, 2020

Yes please - Christmas gift of Dark Mode would be nice! :)

I have an autoimmune condition and the bright white screens antagonise my symptoms.... I'm sure I'm not the only person who wants it for health reasons so any chance of an update on this?

Like Sean Helling likes this

This is almost a necessary feature for us. We work as much at night as during the day and often in darkened rooms. Trello is the only application I rely on that's stuck with a light theme.

One more vote for #TrelloDarkMode #macOS #Christmas2020 Please!!!

ArKeid0s I'm New Here Jan 09, 2021

Another bump for 2021, please trello ! You have an awesome site but there are some quality of life features that are still missing

#DarkMode #MacOS #RightMeow

It's 2021, where is darkmode?

It's should be #1 on the todolist of any developer that currently doesn't offer it. Especially in a productivity tool like Trello.

It's a absolute no brainer. 

the mean thing is trellos (in my eyes) main competitor has dark mode and I hate their UI, but they have darkmode. Every tool I am working with has darkmode...ah...except Trello. C´mon Trello...you have made so many great improvements in the last months! Trello Business is really getting cooler and cooler...Bring it on!!! Turn the lights down, baby! Yeah!

OMG, people have been asking for this for 2 and a half years (in this one tread), probably more!

This should be incredibly easy! 

In the backend, just make the HEX or RGB values available for users to change the colours themselves. 

Add this to the settings/preferences, and we'll do it ourselves. 

You already have the top header text changing color from dark to light font depending on the BG image, whether it's bright or dark. Clearly these color values can easily be changed. 

I'm cancelling my pro membership for Trello!

Maybe when people start cancelling memberships, that will give Trello the incentive to have ONE dev spend HALF a day on this! 

Ridiculous. 

Like # people like this

Thanks Trello...

2021 and no dark mode. Jesus.... (sorry for the language everyone)

To be ABSOLUTELY CLEAR, I'm leaving because your customers have asked for YEARS for a simple feature and you have ignored them. 

Screen Shot 2021-02-05 at 9.46.46 AM.png

Like # people like this

We are actively looking for a replacement for Trello that's easier to use and gets better support.  Other vendors of different tools (like, say, Slack) put this feature in quite some time ago, and it speaks volumes that Trello isn't seeing the love from Atlasslan.  We've been using it from quite some time, and since the acquisition it's gone downhill.

Like # people like this
Spyrine I'm New Here Feb 07, 2021

come on dark mode pls

Like Datawarrior likes this

@Torbenwhat's the go with Dark Mode for Mac OS?

I'm sure Atlassian and the team at Trello can see that there's a high demand for a single feature that you've got implemented everywhere else. Trello even released a whole new look and feel to the entire app and yet implementing a feature that's highly requested seems to be outside their capabilities?

You able to bring some of the team leaders on so we can chat and figure out what the hold up is?

Like # people like this
cy6erlion I'm New Here Mar 13, 2021

My eyes are hurting daily, because Trello and Bitbucket don't support darkmode. Your products are almost perfect, just add dakmode and they will be 100% perfect.

For those searching for a bit of darkness in your life, here are easy alternatives for your pleasure while you endlessly wait for Atlassian to care about your needs more than your money.

The Dark mode is possible using Dark Reader available on all browsers.  You can also take advantage of different shortcuts' creation features. 

In Chrome and Edge for Trello, it will be as if you were using the cheap Atlassian's Chromium wrapper. 

In Firefox, only the nightly builds have the feature for turning a page into a desktop app.  I

In Safari, you are unfortunately confined to the Apple prison, so no solution.  Your best alternative is to use Unite 4, the free version allows 3 apps and provides Dark Mode.

- Chrome:  In options menu (...) click More Tools->Create Shortcut the select Open as a window.

- Edge: In options menu (...) click Apps->Install this site as an app. 

- In Firefox Nightly: From the options menu in the address bar click Use This Site in App Mode

Dark Reader is the best dark mode plugin there is.

Screenshot 2021-02-18 183607.pngScreenshot 2021-03-13 104553.png

Like levisl176 likes this

Hi @Torben - any chance this could get pushed up the radar at Atlassian?

Like # people like this

Hi! So is there any update on the Night mode / dark mode for Trello?

Would like to have it too... Any news?

I cancelled my Trello membership and posted the screenshot. I'm done waiting for dark mode. 

Any update on this? You have gobs of money and resources under the atlassian umbrella and a hacker weekend's worth of hours could have completed this a long time ago. Please for the love of everything holy bring dark mode do the apps. 

I agree, lets get Dark Mode moving please!

Like Alex Brunckhorst likes this

Nite Mode for Trello's Desktop and Mobile apps are even more needed than the web app.

Like Datawarrior likes this

This is very much still needed. Please implement it soon! 

I can't understand how it is possible, to an easy to implement thing like a dark mode, to takes so long ... 
We really need it, as people said, is not about aesthetic, is also health care.

Please, listen to your customers.

Now that mobile is done... how about that desktop app. "Just use the web version" isn't an acceptable answer - there are reasons I prefer the app over the web version. :)

the browser version doesn't have a dark mode

Like # people like this

Sure, not natively. but it's easily accomplished with a handful of extensions. 

Like # people like this

Absolutely right, I'm using desktop shortcuts specifically, so I'll continue using Trello's desktop app. Trello must have night mode for the Windows 10 app.

It's very disappointing that trello web application and desktop application has not been provided with the dark mode. Majority of the atlassian user base is developer and we developers seek nothing but a dark mode in every app we use when it comes to cosmetic aspect of it. It is not only about look and feel, but the health of our eyes too. So please, treat this as a high priority feature request. Just curious to know what is it taking you to make development on this front - lack of skilled resources (which I doubt), or anything else?

I really WANT a dark mode for web. Where is it. I can't find it anywhere, and I am not installing some browser extension that then has read access to all my crap. I have to have sun glasses on to use this web sight out of the box. What am I paying for besides storage??? Nothing new that has come out has been remotely useful to me in the past year, at least dark mode will keep the visual peace in my cave like coding environment.

Another voice requesting this. For Trello to be useful to me, it needs to have dark mode as the ideas I’m trying to capture often occur in the middle of the night. With dark mode apps i can capture the idea and go back to sleep within seconds. Without dark mode, I’m often awake for hours. 

Going on two years since it was first requested. Need me to find you guys someone to write some custom CSS?

Dark Mode is in the mobile apps from today (iOS, Android from 25.), so what about the main web platform? Any plans/decision/ETA Atlassian team?

Please save our eyes. We need night/dark mode.

Like most of your users have said multiple times, we need night mode/dark mode Trello.

Most of us developers spend a lot of time in front of screens, which on it's own can already be harmful to the human eye. However, light mode makes it even more aggressive.

Dark mode not only is more aesthetically pleasing, but easier on the human eye.

- Norberto A., just another developer voicing their opinion.

This feature is still really needed but in the meantime there is a Chrome extension called Trello Night that is helpful: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/trello-night/mfifmoklnkpndjjcalemaggldbicmkki?hl=en

I really need the app in dark mode I'm getting blind.... Can any one in trello's team help us out.... Thanks a lot friends

Like # people like this

I was really hoping to be able to use the desktop app which I just discovered, but the web app is so much better to me because I use a chrome extension which turns everything into dark mode, including Trello. Unfortunately, I will have to continue to use the web app so for the safety of my eyes and my sanity. Please fix this my Trello dudes. This is way overdue

Like Norberto A. likes this

I use the App so there is still no solution for bringing dark mode and apparently, Trello/Atlassian's developers have never visited this Forum otherwise they would obviously move this to the top of the list of priorities. 

Like Chase Holden likes this

Ditto to everything above - LET US JOIN THE DARK SIDE OF THE TRELLO FORCE, PRETTY PLEASE.

I was disappointed to read in the recent blog that the mobile apps have dark mode, however the web version does not. Surely there are on a magnitude of more users who use the web version, more frequently and for longer periods so that feature would have been more beneficial on the web version. 

3 votes
Dr_T I'm New Here Nov 21, 2020

2+ years since dark mode was requested on this forum, a feature that from a UX and OH&S perspective is essential for desktop app users - and still nothing from Atlassian - my org has given up and ditched it on all devices for a better alternative...

So bizarre that that this STILL has not been done yet. Oh well...

Nightmode for PC please!! I use Vivaldi browser to present multiple Trello boards as a dashboard. Chrome Night Mode extension is of no use. Please fix this Trello.

Dark mode for the Win 10 app... 
C'mon guys!! ;-)

I'm looking forward to this feature.

Please developers hurry because I can't wait anymore.

They can do it like android app of Trello.

Wait for it, wait for it...  After 2 years, it will surely be out in 5 when the new "sunrise mode" will become the norm :-)

No jokes, it's unbelievable how slow Atlassian is to make changes!

Like Chase likes this

What do we want ?
Dark mode!!!111!one*

When do we want it?
Naow!!

*On desktop (mac)

Having dark mode in the Trello app on Mac would be life-changing. I don't think they realize just how much time some of us spend in Trello. 😅

Join me to post to Atlassian's Twitter & Facebook pages.

Copy paste this or your own to: Trello on Twitter and Trelloapp on Facebook

After 3 years, still no night mode in Trello App.

Atlassian to users: we don't care what you want.

Members cancel paid subscriptions in protest.

Atlassian management on permanent vacation?

link to this thread

Like Chase likes this

as an alternative you can use

userstyle addon modification

https://userstyles.org/styles/browse/trello

Incredible, thanks for the tip!

I use the App so there is still no solution for bringing dark mode.

Apparently, Trello/Atlassian's developers have never visited this Forum otherwise they would obviously move this to the top of the list of priorities. 

The funniest part is that it's only a matter of changing a bunch of CSS values and it can be done programmatically.  If Dark Reader extension can do it in an instant in the browser.  The packaged desktop app can do the same.

Trello management and developers are lazy at best!

Like Chase likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Trello

📹 Favorite Trello templates

Hello Community!  My name is Brittany Joiner and I am a Trello enthusiast and Atlassian Community Leader. In this video, I'll share my favorite Trello templates. Templates mentioned in ...

1,486 views 12 35
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you