Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Move/copy attachment in Trello?

Greger December 17, 2018

Is there a way to move/copy an attached file from one card to another in Trello?

It is of course possible to download the attachment and then re-upload it again to the other card, but that is very tedious to do especially on a phone.

The docs say nothing about this. An answer on Stack Exchange said "no" but that was from 2012, so maybe this feature has been added since then(?).

When you create a new checklist you can select to copy from an existing one. Attachments could have a similar feature.

3 answers

1 vote
Liam Squires March 20, 2019

I tried these instructions on a pdf scan and was unsuccessful. I did manage (on a desktop) to move a file by following these steps:

• Right-click the attachment in the original card
  • Copy Link
  • Open the destination card
  • Click Attachment and paste the link. Alternatively, you can just CTRL+V with the destination card open to get the same outcome. 
Miguel January 20, 2021

Liam, Thanks for your comment. Unfortunately that only creates a link, but does not move the attached file. 

Like # people like this
0 votes
Dave Pickens March 30, 2022

Maybe Taco knows, nobody else seems to. Very frustrating.

0 votes
carolyn french
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 17, 2018

Hi Greger, and welcome to Community!

You can copy an attached file from one card to another by opening up both the origin card and the destination card in separate windows side-by-side. Then you go into the attachment by clicking the open link:

2018-12-18_1049.png

Finally drag and drop that attachment into the destination card.

Voila, you will have copied it!

Hope this helps,

Carolyn

Greger December 18, 2018

Thanks Carolyn,

That can be an OK workaround, but it only works if you are on a desktop and requires multiple browser windows.

I am hoping for a solution that works within the Trello apps on Windows, macOS, iOS and Android.

cheers // Greger

carolyn french
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 19, 2018

Yes, I know what you mean- it's certainly not the simplest way to do this. 

Ruediger Geys February 3, 2019

Hello Carol,

thats really a sad restriction in the Trello App. When sharing an image to trello, it cannot be attatched to a specific card but only to a new card. AND i also cannot move it to another card.

Would be more than nice to have a move attatchment feature in the app.

best wishes Ruediger 

Like # people like this
Cindy Bates September 21, 2022

Hello Carol,

I found that transferring the attachment like you showed just creates a link from one card to another. I wanted to get rid of the other card completely once the attachment was transferred to the new card but now I either have to keep the old card or download the attachment and reload it and then delete the old card. It would be so great if Trello could focus on adding a move attachment feature.

Thanks for your help! Cindy

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events