Link to Google Drive file inserted in card description appearing as URL instead of file name

sippoliti February 25, 2022

I copied the link to a file on our google drive into the description area of a trello card. When I view the card I see the link as the file Name but when other team members view the card they see the link as the full URL for the file on the google drive.  I need everyone to see the file name as in the below screen shot. NOT as the long URLs of each file where you cant tell what the file is. 

Also, the Drive Icon to the left of my file name is gray color when I think I have seen some in the fill drive color scheme?

Thank you!Screen Shot 2022-02-24 at 4.48.27 PM.png

1 answer

0 votes
Michael Pryor
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 25, 2022

I think that may be because the others don’t have permission to see those files in Google. The name of the file is replaced and resolved on the client side in the person’s browser that is viewing it. So if they click on the url that they see can they see the file?

sippoliti February 25, 2022

Hi Michael and thank you-

Yes the team members do have permission to see the files and are able to click on the link to view and edit the doucment on the drive. Just can't see the file name in the Trello card. 

sippoliti February 28, 2022

@Michael Pryor  Hi Michael. I actually had a team member create a test card, copy the link for a file on our Drive (which she had permission to edit) and paste into the description area of the test card and she was still only able to see the URL yet I was able to see the file name. This is a huge hurdle as we test the platform. Would so appreciate any guidance.

Michael Pryor
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 28, 2022

If you disable the Google Drive power-up, does anything change for them?  Or in Chrome if you go into the Developer Tools window, and then look in the console for any errors?

Like sippoliti likes this
Andre Mauritz
Atlassian Team
February 28, 2022

Hi @sippoliti !

Given that your team members only see the full URL instead of the title, but have access to the file when clicking on it, I assume what's missing is them granting Atlassian/Trello permission to connect to their drive. Our system needs a user to 'allow Atlassian to connect with Google Drive', once, in order to show all the link previews.

Could you please check with your team members if they can see a 'connect to preview' label at the end of the URL? If so, they would need to click that, which will open the permission window. They only need to do that once.

If your team members don't have a Trello account and are accessing the Trello card anonymously (not logged in), then they currently won't be able to connect and authenticate to see the Google title.

Please let me know if that works!

Like sippoliti likes this
sippoliti March 1, 2022

@Andre Mauritz  Thank you so much, this was exactly the issue and clicking on the "connect to preview" resolved the problem! Was there a step in their account set up that was missed? I want to be sure that as we add users they allow the Drive connection so they dont have this issue. THANK YOU AGAIN to you and your your entire team!

Andre Mauritz
Atlassian Team
March 1, 2022

I'm glad that helped :)

At the moment there's unfortunately no other way for users to connect - it needs to happen through that 'connect to preview' button on links, and only once per user.

Don't hesitate to reach out if there's anything else we can help with!

Ronald Forti March 15, 2023

Hello all,

I have the same problem in the description on some cards.  On activity there is no problem, it always show the Google Drive Icon and filename. But the description only the URL and I can't find a 'connect to preview' button. 

This problem started like a month ago, before that the description was showing the G-Drive Icon and the filename.

I have tried signing off and disabling the G-Drive power up and setting it up again.

Please let me know if you know how to fix this.

Cheers.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events