Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Link cards with same text

Hamal Fiallo October 13, 2023

Hello guys,

What would be the command for. 

Tigger:

When a card is added to list, containing in the comment the same number of the description as a card that already exist ? 

Action:

Link cards

Regards,

Hamal

1 answer

0 votes
Brittany Joiner
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 14, 2023

@Hamal Fiallo welcome to the community! what do you mean by "in the comment the same number of the description"? Descriptions are text not numbers

Hamal Fiallo October 14, 2023

Hello Brittany, thanx! 

I will explain in a example :

I add a Case# to the description, right. So when a email arrives to the board with the same case# in the comment, i want those 2 cards to link together. 

For example: ''When a card is added to list "blablabla", containing in the comment the case # same has description on exiting card, link card together" 

Brittany Joiner
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 14, 2023

@Hamal Fiallo got it. I think you actually want to use the wild card filter. You can use it to look for a match in a card's description, and then reference that value in the find a card with name x and then use link together action: https://support.atlassian.com/trello/docs/pattern-matching-and-wildcards/

Wow! This a whole new world for me...

Can you please help what would be the best automation for my case?

Regards

Brittany Joiner
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 14, 2023

@Hamal Fiallo I think it would be something like this

image.png

I don't know exactly how you'd look up description, so you might need to see if you can alter your workflows to make case cards contain that case number as the title

does the tittle of the card has to be exactly as de case#?

or can it just contain it?

Brittany Joiner
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 14, 2023

@Hamal Fiallo you'd have to play around with it, but i think you might be able to do the wildcard thing again {*} and put that before/after Case#. Or you might be able to use Regex, but I'm not sure if a regex filter would read the {wildcard1}. You can learn more about using regex in Trello filters in this video I made.

I tried this, but is not working...

Screenshot 2023-10-14 205639.png

Brittany Joiner
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 14, 2023

@Hamal Fiallo Is the # sign in the card title? You'll need to include that in the action.

Like this? :

Find card titled: {# }? 

Brittany Joiner
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 14, 2023

No the trigger is fine as is i think, the action (where you reference wildcard) is what needs to match. 

So lets say your card description has Case#1234, and your card is titled Case#1234.

Your trigger is going to find 1234 in the description (1234 is the {wildcard1} value), so you need to let it know what will be around that. So if the card is title Case#1234 you'll need to tell it to find Case#{wildcard1}. 

The thing is that the case numbers change all the time. Its not always the same case #. 

Maybe we can make a meet call, so i can show you my screen and explain what is my use case.

Can you do that?

Brittany Joiner
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 14, 2023

Right, thats why you're using the wildcard - because it's going to grab whatever the case number is in the card and then look for the card with that as the title.

It sounds like you might want to connect with a Trello consultant, it looks like you might need some custom help and walk through with this and these folks would be best equipped to meet and help you: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Trello-articles/Trello-Consultants-Right-Here-In-The-Community/ba-p/1983694#M167

ok, i posted a comment. 

thanx

i joined you webpage, but cant seem to get in touch with you...

Can you help me?

Since you're already familiar with my use case. 

Maybe you can help me.? 

Brittany Joiner
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 16, 2023

@Hamal Fiallo i am not offering consulting at the moment, and I've got some travel this week so it would be difficult for me to get on a call. Also - i should clarify i haven't actually used wildcards in automation myself, I've just been reading the docs and exploring the functionality, so at this point you might know as much as I do about it

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events