Limit on number of options in each Trello custom field?

GA September 24, 2018

There's a limit of 50 custom fields per Trello board, that's well understood.

However, Trello (on the browser) does not seem to accept more than 50 options in a single dropdown-type custom field.

Specifically, I made a custom field named "Project", expecting to use it to choose one of around 70 running projects for each card. After 50 options though, there was no input field for item 51.

Attaching a couple of screenshots (with option numbers instead of project names). The first image shows the creation of item #50 and the second one shows the inability to add item #51.

In the help article about Custom Fields, under 'Custom Field Limits', it says

A board can have up to 50 Custom Fields defined on a board. Any number of cards on the board can have values set for each field.

No limit on the number of options per field is mentioned.

Am I missing something?

Thanks,

GA

49.PNG50.png

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
GA February 4, 2019

Here is a (long overdue) update: back then, following Marc's recommendation, I contacted support and they said this 'secondary', as they called it, limit is intentional, but did not specify the reason for its existence.

They seemed to accept that it's arbitrary and did not seem eager to raise it.

As to its documentation, it appears that some limits are not widely published, as they 'expect most people won't run into them'.

They also sent me the following link where active limits are available: https://trello.com/1/resource/limits

elisabete.carpanezi@thomsonreuters.com November 28, 2019

Hey, I have the same issue. Currently I'm using the free version, do you know if I migrate to a payed one this limit will be increase?

Jean-Baptiste d'Anchald December 26, 2019

Hi elisabete.carpanezi@thomsonreuters.com  it is the same with the paid version :/ 

0 votes
alexros_aws February 4, 2019

Even by using the API it does not accept more than 50 options. It returns an error message "CUSTOM_FIELD_TOO_MANY_OPTIONS".

0 votes
marc -Collabello--Phase Locked-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 27, 2018

@GAThis is an unfortunate problem to have.

As I understand from the Trello API documentation, there is no limit on the number of options specified.

My recommendation is to contact Trello support directly and ask them (and then ask Trello to update the docs!).

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events