Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to manage in-app notification control?

Tim May 5, 2021

I work with a small team, and Trello felt like a great fit for about 15 people. However, even with a team this small, Trello's notification system is pointless.

Im watching about 12 cards across 3 boards, and over the course of less than an hour Trello generated over 100 notifications, so many of which were just uploads to the card, and activity on the cards I was watching that didn't involve me (I was not tagged on comments but still got notifications).

Isn't it obvious how absurd that is? What's the point of notifications if every single micro-interaction is sent out as a notification?

On top of that, I'm seeing no way to control this, where I fully expected to see "only notify me when directly addressed", "don't send notifications for uploads" "don't send notifications for comments where I'm not tagged" as options.

Wondering if there's a way to make a useful notification digest, or if we need to switch apps. Too much is already falling through the cracks.

1 answer

1 vote
Felix
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 5, 2021

You're probably watching the card or the board or the list, when you don't need to be. See https://help.trello.com/article/799-watching-cards-lists-and-boards

Tim May 5, 2021

Like I said, all of these notifications came from 12 cards which I am a part of. I know I want to be on those cards, I just want the unimportant moves (uploads, comments that don't mention me) to be consolidated or not appear in my notifications.

Like Felix likes this
Felix
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 5, 2021

You don't need to watch a card to be notified for mentions, so that might be an option.

We're definitely looking at improvements we can make to notifications, so this a valuable data point for us!

For what it's worth, we've got the feature I think you want (granular notification settings) on our mobile apps, just not for email and web.

Like Tim likes this
Tim May 5, 2021

I'm advising my team to stop using the add to card feature and use @ as our primary method of directing attention - should keep our notifications concise and useful.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events