Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to hide 'Attachments' when creating a new card?

Baden Brewer April 17, 2018

When I create a new card the default settings are to show "Description / Attachments / Checklist / Comments / Activity" within the card. 

Is there a way to remove/hide the "Attachments"?

I can delete checklists, but I don't want to see 'Attachments' (Circled in Red in this image).Capture.PNG

9 answers

2 accepted

5 votes
Answer accepted
Denise
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 27, 2018

Hi everyone!

Another update here: Due to the comments we've received, we've decided to remove the attachments section when there are no attachments on a card. That will make the view of the card back more compact again.

Cheers and thanks again to everyone who suggested alternate ways of how that view could be imroved!

Tiago June 28, 2018

Thanks Denise!

4 votes
Answer accepted
dhughes01 June 19, 2018

I can certainly understand the benefit of moving things around now and then to help expose functions and capabilities to those who may not realize they're available.

I also agree that it takes up an awful lot of space for those who just need to create a simple card with a title and checklist. Consider that if I want to make a simple checklist, I'm forced to ignore the description, attachments, comments, and activities sections with no way to hide/remove most of the sections.  That's 80% of the modal filled with unused functionality.

I think an ideal compromise would be to leave it just the way it is by default, but to add a button under actions called "Edit Sections" that would let users show, hide, and change the order of sections (with an option to set the modified order as the default).

Thank you for your time and attention.  Have a great rest of the week and thanks for all your hard work in creating such an awesome and useful tool!

ReorderedCard.jpg

Amanda Dominguez Ayala August 6, 2018

Agreed! For example, for my OKR-tracking board (which is for my eyes only), my ideal would be to have the description up at the top, followed by checklists, then comments, and then attachments at the bottom (followed by the usual Activity feed). Having the ability to move the different sections around on each card (or even to have the option to set the order for a board all at once) would be great!

Like # people like this
Enrique Avila September 23, 2020

I need just the same

Carol Rose October 17, 2020

I rarely use the "attachments" to link cards. Instead, I copy the card, board, or google drive link and paste it in the relevant description, checklist item, or activity. I link cards the same way for parent/child and/or relevancy relationships. I, too, love a streamlined approach and with the enhanced checklists, it's really easy! 

5 votes
Denise
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 9, 2018

Hi all,

What you're seeing is a recent change to the look of the card back. There isn't currently a way to remove/hide the attachments section but I'll definitely let our team know that you'd like to see an option to minimize or remove this new card section. 

Let me know in case you have any other comments on this and I'd be happy to pass them on to our team as well. Thanks!

Adam May 9, 2018

Hi Denise. 

It would be great if the attachments section could be removed via an option.

The new description box also seems like a bad UX. Jodi's screenshot above (https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Trello-questions/Is-there-a-way-to-hide-Attachments-when-creating-a-new-card/qaq-p/776255#M5267) shows the old description box as a single line of text that expands when clicked. This is a much better use of space. When using a small notebook, the checklist section is off-screen due to the redundant sections above.

Like Deleted user likes this
Tiago May 9, 2018

I agree with Adam and cannot understand the logic behind those changes. Why take so much space with optional fields? What was wrong with the previous look (one line for empty description + no attachments section)?

Checklists is, to me, more important than description and attachments, but they were moved further down the screen.

Like Cassandra Brown likes this
Baden Brewer May 9, 2018

Thanks for the response Denise.

Just curious what is the likelihood of something like this being changed? And if they do decide to add the option to hide/remove the attachment box, how long would it take to implement?

Denise
Atlassian Team
May 10, 2018

Hi everyone,

Those design changes have been made in order to help expose those functions and capabilities better.

I'm sorry you don't find the changes very helpful. It definitely wasn't our intention to add something that's getting in your way.  We appreciate that you're taking the time to share your thoughts on this and I'll make sure to pass this feedback to our team so they can consider making additional changes. I can't make any promises here but we are listening and will discuss this further internally.

Thanks again for taking the time to get in touch!

Baden Brewer May 10, 2018

Thanks Denise!

I know for me, I don't use attachments very often, but I can see your reasoning for putting those in. Maybe a compromise would be to put them in my default, but have the ability to remove it? That way people are exposed to the option, but can also remove if unnecessary.

Thanks for listening and getting back to us!

Petr Maček May 11, 2018

+1 to optional hiding attachments & one line empty description!

Trello's killer feature for me is the checklists and the smooth workflow for them, large empty textarea for description + now the attachment field is cluttering my cards quite a bit.

It would be nice to know what dev team thinks about that, since if they do not plan to change it, I could still make some simple Chrome extension to hide / reduce those fields, but I don't know whether to commit time to such, possibly popular i.e. time consuming, effort.

vadim epstein May 13, 2018

+1 for all mentioned above - opt-out attachments, one line description and checklist on the very top, if possible. i use checklists all the time as main (or even only) feature on the card back, so would love to have hide-able (or at least moveable) attachments, comments and description sections.

Kim Pinkham May 21, 2018

+1 to hiding attachments, smaller description line unless populated, and dragging checklist to the top of the card. Checklists are massively useful and I don't use the others much. I'd be happy with a drag & drop to move my lists to the top, or a toggle for "always show/show only when used."

Thanks!  

Bryon Adams May 21, 2018

+1 for the option to hide the attachments and to be able to move them to the bottom. I rarely use attachments and find it bothersome to keep having to scroll past them.

desu desu May 31, 2018

This change was pretty irritating to me, but well, Trello is free.

If you use Trello mostly on PC you can change the new features by using something like StyleBot (Chrome).

Hide the attachment box:

div.window-module.js-attachments-section.u-clearfix.mod-card-detail-icons-smaller {
    display: none;
}

Slim down the description field:

.card-detail-fake-text-area {
    min-height: 0;
    background: rgba(0,0,0,.03);
    border-color: rgba(0,0,0,.15);
    box-shadow: inset 0 1px 6px rgba(0,0,0,.1);
    display: block;
    color: #838c91;
    font: "Helvetica Neue",Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif 400 14px;
    line-height: 18px;
    text-decoration: none;
    padding: 7px;
    border: 1px solid #cdd2d4;
    border-radius: 3px;
}
Like Ashley Cooper likes this
SC June 5, 2018

+1 for the option to hide Attachments and Description fields.  Trello Team, I do pay for this tool, it doesn't flow as well now for me, and if you don't provide a way to go back to how it was, I will be using this tool less, and looking at other tools more...

Tiago June 7, 2018

@desu desuThank you! That worked beautifully!

0 votes
Lucas September 21, 2018

+1.

Would like [image] attachments in Card however current 5-4 'see less' workflow is helpful but...

Answer 1:

Option to move Attachments to bottom of Card via handle or hamburger next to or instead of paperclip icon; add 'radio' onetouch button for execute/toggle.

Atlas is a mensch; tows the Titan line post-Titanomachy; singularly dedicated to the western edge of Gaia.   Please bring it Jürgen @jurgenspangl , you can do it. Thank you.

0 votes
Meredith Boylan August 22, 2018

+1 to being able to move sections around, at least. I would love for Checklists to be on top. Or maybe Description and then Checklist. I would prefer Attachments (even when I use them) to be *after* the Checklists. 

This would make Trello perfect, in my eyes! 

0 votes
Rob Jackson June 1, 2018

Is there a way to hide attachments that have been archived? I'd like them to be visible when I expand the view but on cursory glance, only want to see live attachments?

0 votes
Stef
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 8, 2018

Could this be a card UI improvement of some sort? I'm using a Free personal account and all my boards have the Attachments section. I noticed it just today.

Adam May 8, 2018

It could well be. I presumed it was a bug seeing as though it is taking unnecessary space. Can't drag my checklist above it either which means I have to scroll down to see my checklist items.

Tiago May 8, 2018

It is also happening to me. I see not only the attachments section, but also a bigger description field, which, if empty, takes a lot of space!

At least they should let us move the attachments section.

0 votes
Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 17, 2018

screenshot.pngThis is from desktop

I logged out and logged in with an old personal account and it's not adding 'Attachment'. I think it's safe to say that this is definitely account related... but both accounts are "Free".

I'm stumped.

Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 17, 2018

That's really strange! Let's see if other weight in on this thread with suggestions to try :)

Adam May 8, 2018

This has just happened to me. I've never added an attachment before; I attached my very first attachment to a board, and now every card of every board has the attachment (and larger than normal description) section.

Screen Shot 2018-05-08 at 13.04.26.png

Tiago May 8, 2018

Me too. Every card now has the attachments section. Also description seems to take more space when empty. Both fields together take a lot of unused space.

Using Chrome with a free Trello account.

vistawatt May 25, 2018

+1 - working on a laptop with limited screen space, the large Attachments section is wasting valuable real estate and significantly worsens the UX.  Please change back to the previous version, or at the very least, add an option in settings to show when blank.  Obviously we want to see it if we add an attachment.

0 votes
Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 17, 2018

I just did a test of my own and when I create a card it only shows comments as the default (not what you see in your photo attached) . I use Google chrome, what browser are you using?IMG_4461.PNG

I'm using Chrome on desktop.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events