It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Is there a character limit on file names for attachments?

I was recently attaching some jpegs to a trello card, and they wouldn't upload properly. 'Something' had uploaded, but the images were broken and couldn't be viewed. 

Files that had shorter names were fine, so I shortened the names of the files in question, and they uploaded as normal.

Is there a character limit? I'll test this myself at some point in the future but thought I'd ask.

Thanks

1 answer

1 vote

Hi Ryan,

Max characters for attachment name is currently set to 256. So that shouldn't generally get in the way.

If you continue to see any issues with attachments, feel free to send in an example at https://trello.com/contact and we can take a closer look. Thanks!

Thank you for replying. It hasn't happened since...until today. Same thing, refuses to upload the image correctly, just get a broken image. As soon as I shorten the file name there's no problem.

I've attached the files here. Sorry they're a bit large.

There's no difference between them except the file name length. I know there are some special characters that don't play well when uploading files, but I couldn't see anything in this one.Wk-23-Social-Media-Assets-Novex Facebook Post.jpgWk.jpg

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published in Trello

There's a lot to love about the next evolution of Trello Community

Hi, team, Whether you've been hanging out here in the Trello collection for awhile, or whether you're just now joining us from the Trello Slack Community, we’ve got some exciting news about th...

2,265 views 23 46
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you