Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to use butler to create a button that only appears on cards in one list

Tim Diggins May 1, 2020

I'm using BusinessClass and I have made some buttons that can appear on all lists, but I really want to have some buttons that are context sensitive -- only appear when in list "Doing" or in list "PR created".

I can have triggers that relate to list, but I can't see anything in Button visibility. Am I missing something, or is there a workaround? (Or maybe this is something on the feature roadmap)

2 answers

0 votes
Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 3, 2020

@Tim Diggins a good alternative to this is to use labels to trigger your commands instead. I actually prefer this to buttons because you can't see the buttons on mobile devices anyway.

Esme Crutchley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 4, 2020

Thanks @Iain Dooley - I actually use this a lot for that very reason - card buttons and board buttons don't show up on mobile and it's a right pain!

Setting commands based on labels are amazing and run no matter what platform you're running! I've removed most of my custom fields now in favour of labels and it's working like a charm!

I would add that the email I gave is wrong, the email is actually feature-ideas@trello.com

Chris Marts May 6, 2020

Vote +1 for using labels as triggers over buttons when possible.

In many cases, there are actually other actions that are unique enough to be the trigger and then you don't even need the label (especially if all it's used for is a trigger).

For example, you may be marking the due date complete or updating the due date for the next step or changing the value of a custom field dropdown list, or even checking off an item on a checklist with a specific name (perhaps a step in your process). In other words, what other changes can/should be made the card that signal it's ready for the next step. Your trigger can be one of these actions, limited to only for cards in that specific list.

The action can then move the card to a new list, uncheck the due date (because maybe you just checked it) and push it out a day, etc... this is just whatever your card button would have done.

I mention this because it's a more powerful approach than buttons because the conventional use of the board moves the process, rather than a manual trigger, BUT... if your actions aren't related to process and/or a button really does make more sense to trigger your action, it is also worth mentioning that Butler card buttons are on mobile now (or at least coming very soon).

Like Iain Dooley likes this
Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 6, 2020

@Chris Marts that's exciting news -- where did you hear about it?

Chris Marts May 6, 2020

@Iain Dooley I can see it in the app. 😎 I think I'm looking at a release candidate version from their beta channel (2020.6.13925-candidate) so hopefully I'm not spilling the beans!

Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 6, 2020

@Chris Marts booyah! Serves me right for not tapping that I want to be a beta tester :) Although since I've never set up a Butler Button I wouldn't have noticed anyway :P

Esme Crutchley
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 6, 2020

Looks like dark mode and card buttons are in beta, but should be coming soon!

https://blog.trello.com/dark-mode-butler-for-trello-mobile

Like Chris Marts likes this
Esme Crutchley
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 6, 2020

I lied!

I've just updated Trello (update from yesterday) and I have dark mode AND CARD BUTTONS!!!!!!

Like Chris Marts likes this
0 votes
Esme Crutchley
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 1, 2020

Hi @Tim Diggins 

Welcome to the Community!

Unfortunately, card buttons are applied across the board, they're not list specific.

If you would like to recommend this as a feature, you can email featurerequests@trello.com with your suggestion.

Personally I think it would be awesome! But alas, we don't have it!

Esme :)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events