Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to move a card and have it check off an item from a checklist in a different board?

James Wheeler January 29, 2020

I am restructuring my method for using Trello, and I want to include more automation to keep it all simple. I have a board for all my projects, and within each card for the project is a checklist of sub-tasks that I can complete one by one to complete the project. I use a 'Next Actions' board to keep track of the very next actionable things I can do for anything (including items that are not included in my 'Projects' board, which is why they are separate). Here is what I am looking for:

1. When a card is added to the 'Projects' board, a blank 'Sub-Task' checklist automatically appears within that card.

2. When I fill out the checklist I want only the very first unchecked item in that list to become a linked card in my 'Inbox' board. (I will end up moving that linked card to my 'Next Actions' board into a specific Doing or To-Do type list)

3. Now once I move the card from that Doing type list into my Done list within the 'Next Actions' board, I would like the checklist item that it was linked to in my 'Projects' board to be automatically checked off, and for the very next unchecked item in that list to send another linked card into my inbox to start the cycle over again.

Sorry for the over-explaining. Is any of this possible?

1 answer

0 votes
Ludo
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 29, 2020

Hi @James Wheeler  

It is not possible with butler because the triggers

- the very first unchecked

- the very next unchecked

Don't exist.

An alternativ way is possible, but it involves 3 constraints.

- items must be ordered in reverse in the checklist (the first item at the last position and the last at the first position in the checklist) => manuel action

- items must be converted into linked cards ( add them in a specific waiting board) => butler rule

- move the first card linked from an item in "Inbox" board => manual action

Still interested ?

the continuation here...

In this condition, it should be possible to create a rule

When the current card is done, move the next card in "Inbox" board. 

By using a rule like this which determinate the next action : 

when an item is checked, for each card linked from an incomplete item in checklist "{checklistname}", find the first card linked in the attachments, and set custom field "Next Activity" to "{multipliercardname}"

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events