Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to assign a due date to a specific task/checklist within a card?

Hakob Karapetyan April 1, 2019

We are a small construction company and organized our board such as that each card represents a certain project. While I can assign a timeline to the whole card, it would be just amazing if I could assign due dates to checklists within the card. I am having a hard time finding that feature.

Can anyone help or suggest another solution. Thank you in advance!

2 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 1, 2019

@Hakob Karapetyan a useful pattern for this is to create a checklist where each item is linked to a card.

That way you can use your "master" card as an overview and click through to each sub-task card, which can have its own due date etc.

You can use Butler to convert each item you add to your "Sub-tasks" list into a linked card in a new list with a command like this:

2019-04-02 at 12.26 pm.pngYou could equally well create a Sub-tasks list on that card, so you can have as many nested sub-tasks as you like. Each linked card can then have it's own members and due date.

Hakob Karapetyan April 3, 2019

Hi Iain,

Thank you for your response. This sounds very interesting. I will try and see how it will work for our purposes.

Kind Regards,

Hakob

0 votes
Answer accepted
Devon Henderson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 1, 2019

Hello Hakob!

Unfortunately, you can only assign a due date to a card as a whole - you cannot assign dates (or people, though you can tag them) to checklist items.

Is it possible for your team to break each card (project) out, so that instead of being a single card with checklist items, they’re each a list with cards for each task? That way you get the benefits of cards for every action item, such as due dates, assigning people, labels, etc.

I understand it isn’t ideal - but I would try this method and see if it works for you. If it does not, please let Trello know by requesting checklist item due dates using the feature request email - feature-ideas@trello.com

Hope this helps!

Hakob Karapetyan April 3, 2019

Hi Devon,

Thank you so much for your response. I am not sure if breaking up the card will work for us since we organized our board with four different categories of cards ("project proposal sent," "proposal accepted," "project in-progress," "project completed"). This way it's easier to to just drag each project through the different phases and know exactly where each project is standing.

Kind Regards,

Hakob

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events