Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need a Butler Rule that adds members to the card when they are assigned to a role via a dropdown

Jo Charest August 13, 2020

I'm new at Trello/Butler and haven't been able to figure out how to get past the pre-set options to create a rule (using my own words).  I have two dropdowns - one for Task Leader and one for Task Supervisor on all my cards. I want Butler to add the members selected in those dropdowns to the card. Seems easy enough, but no...  help?

1 answer

0 votes
Keli
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 18, 2020

Hi @Jo Charest

Keli here with the Trello support team. :) I'm hearing that you want to create a rule without using the options Butler offers, is that right? 

I'm afraid that right now we don't have a way to create your own new rule actions and triggers outside of the pre-set options, but I think we can still make this rule work. What are you using for the drop-down menu? Is it Custom Fields? 

Butler offers different variables that you can use in rules, with a special set of customizable variables for Custom Fields integration. 

Here's an idea I created on my side. I entered the usernames of my board members in a drop-down Custom Field named "Assigned", then created this rule:

when custom field "Assigned" is set, add member @{{%Assigned}} to the card

When a username is selected in the drop-down box Butler will automatically add that user as a member of the card. You might be able to make this work using public display names too, but I can confirm that this rule does work when using usernames as the value.

Here's a bit more on variables if you'd like to read more:

I hope this helps! 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events