Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to disable Custom Fields on a Board?

Nina Medlock August 25, 2021

I see that Custom Fields are now a standard part of each board and not a Power-Up. Does anyone have any idea how to disable it from showing on one board in our Workspace? We have a TON of custom fields, but they aren't relevant to everyone so some team members do not want them showing on their board. Is there a way to do this? 

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Garrett
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 25, 2021

Hey @Nina Medlock,

I certainly understand the reasons for hiding those fields on certain boards, but I'm afraid there's not an option like that right now. You'd instead need to delete the fields on the board if your team doesn't want to see them.

Just to be clear, do you have team members that are surprised to see fields on their own boards at all? If so, it sounds like those have been on the board for a while, but the Power-Up wasn't enabled previously (CF data persisted in boards even when the Power-Up was disabled). So when we made the change, those fields were suddenly visible.

All that said, we're gathering all the feedback we can on these changes, so I'll definitely share your interest in that with our team. I can't give any ETA on a new hide option or something similar, but we'll at least have that logged internally, and taken into consideration.

Nina Medlock August 25, 2021

Hello Garrett! Yes, my team member emailed me this morning saying that they just appeared on her Board. You are correct, the CF data already existed, but the power up was not enabled on her board so she could not see them before today. 

That's a major bummer that there's no hide option. We have 25+ custom fields that we use on a regular basis so the CF section now takes up a LOT of real estate on a card; which is super inconvenient for someone who doesn't need them. 

Garrett
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 26, 2021

Totally understand, Nina. I'm sorry that change resulted in such a disruption. My suggestion for now would be to delete those fields on the board.

I can understand though if the next concern is those coming back when copying more content over to the board. In a case like that, you could explore using Butler as a workaround.

Essentially, instead of copying a card directly, you could create a card button that does that for you, but before it places the card on the destination board, it clears the fields.

Here's an example of how that could look:

Screen Shot 2021-08-26 at 1.49.11 PM.png

0 votes
Gemma A_ October 29, 2021

not an answer but a question:

I have several boards, and in one of those I don't need the CF. I have another with about 30 CF, so I deleted them one by one in the board where I don't need them.

Today I found out that they are back again :_(  and certainly I didn't copy any card with CF there...so how can I avoid them to pop up again?

there's also no options to at least move the CF block at the bottom of the cards? is really annoying to have so many space with unuseful fields.

thanks in advance!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events