It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How to Back Up Trello Boards

I want to back up my boards in Trello, as I have now entered so much information pertinent to my projects onto the platform I would like to be able to download a backup of all of it in case we get hit with an EMP etc.  LOL but seriously.  Does anyone know the steps to download all the lists and comments etc. in every card of a Trello board?  Thanks!

2 answers

Thanks, it looks like some third party integrations are necessary (Trello Upload Spreadsheet, Trello Backup 3.7 2016-02-02), but I couldn't find any information as to the safety of allowing either one. The latter kept putting me through a loop repeating the permissions process, when the spreadsheet instructions said it would just work.  I might have misunderstood them though: "11. Select "Backup boards" from the Trello menu in this spreadsheet. This will (optionally) dump the raw JSON output in the Dump worksheet, and then extract certain fields into new worksheets representing each board. NOTE: You may get a request to authorise the App Script - just click Ok, and then then reselect "Backup boards" from the trello menu and it should run the next time." When I reselected 'backup boards' from the Trello menu I was sent back into the same permissions loop over again..

In the next step of the spreadsheet, the Trello Backup script options did not match the instructions, so I could not schedule backups using this method.

The same thing happened as in the first paragraph above when I followed the spreadsheet's instructions for generating story cards, i.e. nothing but an infinite repeat loop through the permissions..

For emailing the spreadsheet when it contains data, I did not find the specified code so couldn't perform that part either.

Same thing with selecting certain boards to be backed up.

After going through this process, I didn't receive any sort of confirmation that my Trello is being backed up or not. 

0 votes
Katrin Anger Community Leader May 24, 2019

@Jadie 

If you are on a free account, Jadie, your options to backup Trello data are a bit limited. Not everybody knows what to do with a JSON file that is produced as the backup source.

There is now another option available with a Power-Up called Booklet by Vince. With this free Power-Up you can export card data into a spreadsheet. The backup can be arranged by board or one (or multiple) lists.

Does that help?

Thanks.  It looks like that could work?  But I couldn't find a privacy policy for Booklet by Vince, given that you have to allow it full access to your Trello board content.  I was able to send an email to them to request their privacy policy, as the link on their website to it is broken or missing. 

Katrin Anger Community Leader Jun 01, 2019

@Jadie 

Hi Jadie, here's a link to their Privacy Policy.

P.S. When you respond, can you make sure you tag me? Otherwise I am not being notified that someone has responded and I might never find out (even though now I did).

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Trello

Develop a new Habit during Lockdown

If you had to thrive a new habit during a lockdown, what would it be? Trello

1,569 views 13 5
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you