Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Add a Link back to Gmail from Trello

Gene October 12, 2021

Is there a way to generate an automatic link back to gmail which was used to create a card.

I figured out how to create a card from specific email on both Android & Windows, but I need to be able to see the link to the original email. 

The card has a subject and content that was in the email, but no link.

Thank you.

1 answer

0 votes
Brittany Joiner
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 13, 2021

@Gene what gmail connection are you using? Power-Up? Email to board? Trello button in gmail?

Gene October 15, 2021

I'm using a regular Trello app for android. The one that has a button on the bottom

https://nimb.ws/kqujUH

It saves the card, but never creates the link to the email, for quick access.

Like Carol Rose likes this
Carol Rose April 4, 2022

Hi! I have the same question and was wondering if you ever got an answer or figured out how to do it on your own? Thanks!

Gene April 4, 2022

Unfortunately I haven't. Dlit doesn't save a link. There was another plugin, but it was a pain to use.

I wish they were more responsive. I decided to use Tasks app that integrated intuitively with Gmail and saves the link to the email. 

Like # people like this
Carol Rose April 4, 2022

I was afraid of that... I am so tired of using Tasks and Trello, but have been just for that reason. Honestly, that link would make Trello my single solution. 

Thanks for responding! I hope someone hears us... I'm back to my enhancement request plan, I guess.

Like Elizabeth Hawks likes this
Gene April 4, 2022

I know. Seems like a simple thing to implement. Hopefully they will add this. 

It will surely make things much easier. 

Brittany Joiner
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 5, 2022

I think you could create something in Zapier so that when you star an email or add a Trello label, it will create a new card in a Trello board, and then you can include the `Message URL` variable as part of the card description

image.png

Carol Rose April 5, 2022

Hi Brittany! Thanks for hearing us :) This sounds promising... I'm new to Zapier, can you point me to something that can help me develop something like this? Thanks again :)

Brittany Joiner
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 5, 2022

@Carol Rose try this link: https://zapier.com/shared/c7b0779de8a1954f23d1141977a206098f94de49

You should be able to sign up for zapier, and then just connect your Gmail and trello boards and follow through in there! I think the onboarding should walk you through it, but let me know if it doesn't and I'll record a screen share showing how that zap works. 

The only weird part is that you can't send data from gmail to trello anymore (has some weird "only approved apps" thing and I guess Trello isn't on the list), so I added a step of sending the gmail data to a google sheet row THEN sending data from that google sheet row to Trello. 

Let me know if a screen share would be helpful and I'll record it!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events