Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do force a team member to copy my template card instead of using it?

Lex Williams
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 19, 2018

I have put together template cards but the team uses the card instead of copying it and then using it. Is there a way to protect the card so that I don't have to keep reproducing it?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 19, 2018

Hi @Lex Williams , as far as I know you can't lock your Trello cards, however I think you need to keep reinforcing the importance of copying the template instead of using it, and give reasons: eg. it causes confusion when the template disappears, making more work for you or your team when they have to create a new one from scratch etc.  You may even ask for the offenders that do it, that they will need to be the one to recreate the template for your team. They will think twice, or hopefully be more aware. Hopefully with a bit more nudging the steps to copy the card will be automatic for your team members.

In the mean time, you could create a separate board with your master templates, and use the copy feature to make several. That way if this continues to happen, it is just a quick move card to board and your template is back in place.

Just a few thoughts to ponder, your team is very lucky to have templates, it must make their job much easier and I am sure they are grateful to you for keeping everything running smoothly.

Have a great day!

Jodi

Lex Williams
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 21, 2018

Thank you Jodi, 

0 votes
Joyce Boyland
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
October 26, 2018

I also use templates, and want my team members to copy them and not edit them.  My solution is to make them Team members but not Board members.  

Contrary to the popup that appears when you click on the Team Name, team members can*not* actually edit unless they are also members of the board.  

team-permissions-popup.png

The information in this popup is actually incorrect, but the functionality is perfect.  Team members actually also need to be board members in order to edit.  If I set up the board so that team members cannot add themselves to the board, they can see the board but will not be able to edit it.  

Hopefully this incorrect information in the popup can get fixed so that people trying to use templates will not get stuck without a strategy,

(and so that people who *want* their team members to edit will see how that's actually done:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Trello-questions/Why-can-t-my-team-members-edit-cards/qaq-p/590818 ).  

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events