cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I change the spacing between lines

DevXtra
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
August 22, 2022

Hello everyone! Recently the spacing between my lines on Trello has been bugging me, especially because I swear it wasn't like this before.

Now when I press enter, the spacing is way to big and I don't know how to decrease it.help.PNG

6 answers

1 accepted

7 votes
Answer accepted
Brittany Joiner
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 22, 2022

@DevXtra welcome to the community! I think it's because of the new text editor... it makes the line breaks different! Try doing shift + enter instead of just enter, and they should be regular height!

Carolyn Dees
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 10, 2023

Thank you for the info. Is there a way to set single line spacing as a default?

Like # people like this
Myron February 16, 2023

I agree, should be the default to begin with. If one wants/needs the extra spacing we'd just enter twice like "since the beginning of time" lol

Like # people like this
David Kanzen
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
April 18, 2023

Absolutely ^^^

Please bring back default line spacing! 

Like # people like this
Sarah Rossi May 4, 2023

100% agree this is SO SO irritating. To the point that it will actually make me reconsider the team account I pay for with Trello. What a ridiculous change with no purpose.

Like # people like this
Brent Warren May 15, 2023

Really happy I found this short thread, not sure why but the 1.5 spacing makes me irrationally upset. Glad I wasn't the only one! Genuinely curious why the default spacing would change, to then have to do shit+enter for regular... wild. 

Like # people like this
Mary Grace Basco May 15, 2023

Completely agree.  Is anyone monitoring community posts??? BRING BACK SINGLE SPACING.  It makes scrolling easier.  1.5 spacing = long scrolling!!

Like # people like this
Tara Miller May 18, 2023

Yes, agree! Single spacing should be the default.

Like # people like this
Scott Smith
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
May 18, 2023

Another vote for single spacing!

Like # people like this
Sarah Rossi May 18, 2023

Is this forum monitored I wonder? How can no one listen to this?! I wonder if they’ve actually asked users about this change and what the possible purpose can be?

RichardLee May 19, 2023

Good question about whether this is monitored.  I figure maybe more replies would generate some attention so I'm adding my dissatisfaction to this list and encouraging anyone else who agrees but has not yet have replied to do so too.  Trello is great but

unnecessarily

spaced

lines

are

IRRITATING!

Please fix.

Like # people like this
Mary Grace Basco May 19, 2023

I'm sending a message to Taco.  Let's see if they are a real person.

Like Tara Miller likes this

Taco @Trello 

Also:

Taco from Trello <reply-106062380-1441644_HTML-1710001641-524000040-36659@e.atlassian.com>

Like Tara Miller likes this
Brittany Joiner
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 19, 2023

There's been a lot of replies explaining the space... all you need to do is press shift while pressing enter to get single space.

Tara Miller May 19, 2023

@Brittany Joiner Unfortunately that doesn't work when you're copying/pasting from another program, which I do quite a bit. Even if the original text is single-spaced, Trello adds another space in between lines upon pasting.

Like # people like this
Sarah Rossi May 19, 2023

Also, it's absurd to require a work around to get basic functionality, needing an extra keystroke FOR EVERY SINGLE return? No one is explaining WHY it has been introduced and if users were asked? Imagine if word processing programs suddenly implemented this?!

Like Brent Warren likes this
Brittany Joiner
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 19, 2023

This is the case with basically any other text editor i've ever seen. Personally, I'm excited for the new UI and the ability to help people who dont know markdown be able to comfortably style their text. And it's also pretty cool to be able to use the / command to create styles like you can with notion. Understand if you prefer single spacing all the time it might be an annoyance, but there's a lot of folks that i've worked with who have asked for a better editor cause they dont know markdown and it looks like shit if you don't know how to use that. 

Not convincing enough for me.  Formatting is not a huge selling point as is the increased scrolling length of my notes due to the increased space between line. 

Like # people like this
Myron May 22, 2023

Brittany Joiner, I'm all about learning new methods. Can you provide any link/documentation to back up the new UI functionality? Seems the double line spacing  may be very useful in some circumstances but I'm not convinced that it is for trello. 

Like # people like this
Rebecca Cussen
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
August 2, 2023

@Brittany Joiner @Taco  I've been using Trello for 8 years and it's a solid companion.  Adding a more intuitive text editor was nice.  I'm going to have to agree with the folks on this thread who dislike the automatic wide spread space between lines of text.  It's made Trello much less efficient as a tool in my opinion.  If a simple single-space feature could be added, that would be VERY much appreciated!  It would save me from some embarrassment internally as well since I introduced Trello to the team.  Thank you for your attention.

Like Eric Gandy likes this
Renasstuff
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
October 2, 2023

Please make single spacing the default. 

Chris D December 18, 2023

ANOTHER 
VOTE 

FOR 
THE 

SINGLE
SPACING 

WHEN 

COPY
PASTING 

jengley
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
February 17, 2024

Add my vote for a single spacing default to this list

Maggie Knoke
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
May 9, 2024

Unusual keyboard moves -- like Shift + Enter instead of plain ol' Enter --  should be for the Unusual Result, like double spacing.

Let the Normal keyboard move be for the Normal Result.

Good grief this is a basic UX principal.

2 votes
Brent Warren June 15, 2023

Just circling back here a month later and finding it's a little funny and a typical sign of the times that something so basic and universally understood (single spacing) is being kind of gaslighted into inefficient. Classic 21st century customer service. 

Customer: ... Wait what just happened why is this new thing a thing who asked for this? 

Company Response: Hello! We made this function for X efficiency purpose! You're welcome!

Customer(s): It is not efficient. I am now... it's more steps than before. 

Company Response: We did a poll of (some) group and it is for them. 

Customer(ss): Please, for the love of god, it's not. Please. Just make it simple. 

Company Response: You just don't understand, it IS more simple. You think it's not because you're dumb. 

Customer(sss): *digs through drawers for pen and paper and sighs* 

Come on Trello/Atlassian, maybe just allow for us old school single space crew an option to not have the fancy text editor thing. I just want to type some freaking notes or contacts without having to scroll into oblivion. 

Sarah Rossi June 16, 2023

@Brent Warren the voice of sense.. And yet still no meaningful reply to paying customers. Very disappointing.

Like # people like this
Chris D December 18, 2023

@Brent Warren - it's so painful, i've had to take a break from converting every line to single space, takes 30 mins as it's quite a long commment pasted from elsewhere. 

but got to plough through or it will be unreadable. 

1 vote
Pierre de Renty
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
October 12, 2023

Lol I am watching this issue about the same problem on Jira since 2020, https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-75312 

I was a Trello user also and there was no double spacing.

I can't believe the cancerous "feature" made it to Trello through Atlassian...

What a joke...

1 vote
Sarah Rossi May 19, 2023

Not convincing for me either. “Any other text editor”? Email and word processing have got to be the main text editors used by the vast majority of the population and neither of those require markup commands to be used for the most basic of needs; to be able to type in regular single line spacing. (I note this window is single line spacing for example…) I pay a significant amount per annum to use Trello for a team of people and this is rendering it incredibly difficult. 

0 votes
Alexander Salazar
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
March 6, 2024

Yes, please the double spacing is obnoxious! Shortcuts aren't a solution. I'd like a default setting to single space when copying and pasting from another program. I do this a lot! 

0 votes
Sam Binder
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
December 12, 2023
  • Shift + Enter isn't a solution because then your bulleted lists stop working
  • as intended
  • and its really annoying.

please trello, let us use a custom style sheet if we know how to use CSS. give us a powerup that lets us upload one per-board.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events