Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can Workspace admin to remove admin from board

laura November 17, 2021

I am looking for a way to remove an admin from a board, this person has left our company and is the sole admin for one of our boards. I am the workspace admin, but I cannot do this. Nor can I delete the board as a workspace admin. I find it very hard to believe that upgrading to Premium and deleting the board is the only way to do this (as advised by an Expert in this community in a different thread - thanks very much Atlassian). 

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Laura Holton _ACE Rotterdam_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 18, 2021

Hi @laura ðŸ‘‹

Welcome to the Community (also great name!)! Unsurprisingly, this problem occurs quite frequently so Trello has provided a couple of options....

Options for changing admins when the only admin leaves

When there is only one admin of a Workspace and that person leaves or is no longer using Trello, there is a loss of continuity in administering the Workspace in Trello. While this situation is not ideal, you have several options to reclaim ownership of the Workspace, the boards, and/or the data on the boards.

1. Upgrade to Standard or Premium
    If you need to recover a board, and that board belongs to your Workspace, you can upgrade your Workspace to Standard or Premium, which adds several features to make managing Workspaces a bit easier, including the ability for Workspace administrators to take control over all boards in the Workspace. You can sign up for Standard or Premium here: https://trello.com/standard & https://trello.com/premium
  2. Recovering an account by password or email address
    Another option if the user's associated email address is a company email address (e.g., jim@yourcompany.com), you probably have access to their inbox by way of your email management system administrator. Trigger a password reset at https://id.atlassian.com/login/resetpassword and reset their password, then log into their Trello account. Then, make yourself admin over the boards in question. After that, log in as yourself and remove the user from the boards (and maybe make a couple of Workspace members admin over those boards to avoid this situation in the future).
  3. Check to see if there are other administrators
    There may already be more than one admin for your Workspace. You can check by visiting your Workspace page in Trello and looking for the admin indicator on the avatars of your members. See Presence and admin indicators on user avatars to see what the admin indicator looks like. If there is already another administrator, contact them about setting up additional admins.
  4. Contact the former administrator
    If you are able to contact the admin who left the Workspace, ask them to log into Trello and add you as an administrator of the Workspace. Once you are an administrator, you can make any changes you wish

I hope this helps but if you have any more questions just ask away 😃

All the best,

Laura

laura November 18, 2021

So you're telling me that the only way to do this is to pay $839.93 USD? It is not an acceptable option to hack into another email account to resolve this.  

Çiğdem Büyükaşik
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
November 19, 2021

Hi again @laura, what another member did before was to upgrade to standard/premium plan for a free trial period and cancelled his plan once he'd fixed the problem as he didn't need the upgrade otherwise. 

Again, I agree that's not the optimal solution that should be offered, but a good workaround that might help. 

Cigdem

Like • # people like this
Shadron Smith November 10, 2022

@ÇiÄŸdem BüyükaÅŸik I have a similar situation and upgraded to the premium but I am still unable, as a board admin, to remove admin privilege's from another member and change them into a user instead. How do I do that?

0 votes
Çiğdem Büyükaşik
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
November 17, 2021

Hi Laura,

I agree that the solution offered is not an ideal one. You might want to have a look at this article, if you haven't done so yet.

https://help.trello.com/article/768-changing-the-admins-of-a-workspace-or-board 

Cigdem

laura November 21, 2021

Hi Cigdem,

We have already done the free trial about a year ago and decided not to upgrade as it was not required, so that's not an option for us. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events