How can I easily upload an e-mail attachment to a specific Trello card without saving it locally?

John Quirk May 8, 2017

We often receive e-mail attachments from the outside world that I (or my team) need to add to specific Trello cards.  Right now, we save them locally or within Dropbox, OneDrive or the like and drag and drop them on the card.

How can I eliminate that middle step of saving first and then copyong to a Trello card?

1 answer

0 votes
Mike
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 10, 2017

Hi John,

Each of your Trello boards has its own email address, and each card also has its own dedicated address. Emails that you forward to the board's address will create a new card, and emails that you forward to a card's address will come in as comments on that card: http://help.trello.com/article/809-creating-cards-by-email

This isn't perfect because you won't necessarily know the card's email address ahead of time, but each board's address is static and won't change (unless you choose to change it, that is!). If the email attachment is regarding a card that already exists in Trello, you could forward the email to the board address, but then there's no way to move the attachment to the existing card. This would work well if the card doesn't exist already!

If the card already exists, you could head into Trello and grab the card's email address and forward the message with the attachment there. This is still a middle step, unfortunately, but might be preferable!

Jeremy deWeen July 8, 2018

Hi Michael and Community,

This is helpful, but I would like to go one step further and be able to point multiple attachments to different cards.  Is there an extension for gmail?  Or another solve?

Of course I can always forward the email multiple times and deleting the unwanted attachments before I press send.  This is not ideal since this will be coming up a lot for me.

Thanks!

Jeremy

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events