Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I collect and link cards with the same label continuously, not just when a label is added?

Lea Dvorsak September 18, 2020

I'm looking for someone experienced with the automation power-ups in Trello. I currently use Butler on a university board wher we display a course syllabus (one card) and then related online sessions and tasks (sevedral cards). Each course has its own label. We want to automatically link all cards with the same label to teach other.

I have tried Butler and Zapir so far for this.  And this is the first time I'm working with these tools. I'm having trouble because these tools all want a very active trigger that activates the rule. In our case - collect and link the Trello cards with the same label in a "Related cards" list. You need to do something to activate it. The main problems are:

1.) If a new card with the same label is added to the board, the rule on the cards from earlier doesn't re-activate and add the  new cards to the list. You'd have to re#add the label on every card to re-trigger it.

2. ) if you do that and re-trigger it, it doesn't just update the list, it throws all of the related cards with the same label to the list again and you end up with duplicate linked itemd.

It's annoying, I wanted to add rules to make it less exhausting to connect  cards that belong together. But I don't really know how to fix it,

Do I use the wrong tool? Do I just need to add another one on top of this one that works with an explicitly active trigger, so when a label is added? Is there a  tool that offers a trigger that would just scan (maybe at a certain day) and connect the cards with the same label by updating them?

Or am I missing on an opportunity in the tools already used and I have just used the triggers wrong? I've looked many times, but maybe I've still overlooked something.

Thank you for your help, I'd really appreciate it!!!!

Lea

2 answers

0 votes
Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 20, 2020

@Lea Dvorsak What do you mean by this:

We want to automatically link all cards with the same label to teach other.

Do you mean that every card with label "BLAH" also has a link attached to every other card with label "BLAH" or that there is a master card that has a checklist with each item linked to all the cards related to BLAH?

Because attaching links to every card that has a label, to every other card that has the same label, seems like it wouldn't achieve anything.

0 votes
milynnus
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 18, 2020

@Lea Dvorsak Would you be able to show us a short video what you are trying to achieve.

Recently, I discovered this Powerful Combination that might address this :

Is there a  tool that offers a trigger that would just scan (maybe at a certain day) and connect the cards with the same label by updating them?

When you mentioned about connecting cards are you referring to the fact that on the syllabus card there are cardlinks for all the related cards physically under a list "Related Cards". Also are you using labels as a trigger or all associated syllabus and related cards shares the same label (name and colour)? Or did I understand it incorrectly? It is not obvious when I read your post.

In general, Butler is capable of handling most things. If you want to do more, you might have to use its Http Request command. This is the only generic integration option available aside for Slack, Jira and email. It does mean that you have a system to response to the request and feedback data for Butler to continue or to effect that desired changes on your board/list/cards. I developed a Butler Add on based on Http Request, Trello Webhook and also can be used with Code by Zapier.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events