Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting a view of all cards and checklist items assigned to you

Eric Woehrling June 30, 2020

We are considering switching from Workboard to Trello

We are a small team who work in a multi-disciplinary way. That means that in Trello we will have many cards in many lists on many boards in many teams. One advantage of Workboard is it lets you have a view of all your tasks, whatever the team or workstream (Trello equivalent is Board or List, Workboard doesn’t have that subdivision).

In Trello you can click on your initials and select cards. That shows you all the cards assigned to you. There are some issues with this, however.

In Trello cards, one attractive feature is the ability to create checklists. You can assign different checklist items to different people. The problem is, if people go to see their cards, they will only see cards assigned to them, but not checklist items included in cards which are not assigned to them.

Is there any way around this?

Can we have a view of all cards and checklist items assigned to you?

Or can we create a rule according to which if you assign any checklist to a colleague that colleague is automatically added to the card? That way their card view will also show them all the cards containing checklist items assigned to them. In Butler/Rules we found rules that make someone … the rule doesn’t specify who it applies to … “join a card.” It looks as though whoever this rule automatically makes join the card is the person creating the rule, so that doesn’t help.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Michael Pryor
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 30, 2020

There's a place to see your cards (you found it) and there's a place to see your checklist items (Click the house in top left, and then the Home link and it will show you Your Items at the top if you have Business Class).  There isn't one page that shows you both all cards that have your face on them and all checklist items that have been assigned to you.

OK thanks, that's a shame. I think Trello should enable the card view to include checklist items. 

Can we create a rule which automatically adds someone to whom you assign a checklist item to the card in which that checklist is included?

Like hankel likes this
1 vote
milynnus
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 30, 2020

@Eric Woehrling The feature you describe on Trello is not familiar to me. Is this all you need?

if you assign any checklist to a colleague that colleague is automatically added to the card”

i am confident that this can be done with API. Can do a demo for you.

To assign someone to task need business class which I do have. Let me see if I can beat the system. 

Hi, thanks for that. We're still experimenting so we may come up with other issues. When you say API does that mean you would effectively develop a new power up to enable this functionality?

Thanks again,

Eric

milynnus
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 30, 2020

I checked, the published API including those in the py-trello library, they do not go beyond name, checked status of a checklist item. The json does show idMember for the checklist item. So I am struggling to create the demo.

The way it will work is that when I am or the bot is added to your board, I will be able to set triggers and run the API behind the scene to effect the necessary changes. It is an automation tool that is similar to Zapier. It already have the necessary Trello modules and Triggers at board, list or card levels so it easy to trap changes on the board. 

Here are some videos showing the above

https://youtu.be/5I19sLRY2Os

https://youtu.be/N5RYSr54Ajg

https://youtu.be/vuu4nJ8ET4Y

The tool has a lot of other modules.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events