It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Filter by custom fields

Roy H Apr 27, 2018

According to https://blog.trello.com/trello-custom-fields-with-mobile-more-fields-api:

• Filtering: Board filtering now supports text, drop down list, and checkbox fields, and will surface cards that have fields that match filtered terms.

I am unable to actually filter by any of this. If I enter the filtering menu, i cannot find or select any of the fields in order to filter.

4 answers

1 vote
Hans-Christian Francke I'm New Here Jan 26, 2019

The filter does simply not work for custom fields. So what is the usage when the filter does not apply to these fields?

1 vote
Awais Kaleem I'm New Here Feb 28, 2019

Hi Everyone, 

Found the solution and a small bug in implementation. When Trello says you can filter on custom fields, they are right. But the filter needs to be applied in a very specific place and not the default search bar of board. You need to go to Board Menu>Filter Cards and here is a search bar that will work on custom fields.

Don't know if this was intended or not, but it works for now.

0 votes
Torben Gendorf Atlassian Team Apr 30, 2018

Hi Roy,

you can filter for any text on your boards in custom fields.

For example if you have a custom field mentioning "text". You can filter for text using the textfield displayed and the cards containing text in custom fields will be shown both on the web, desktop as well as in iOS via the filter feature on a board (magnifying glass icon).

if that does not work for you, please reach out with an example to trello.com/contact so we can check it out.

Andrew Blair Nov 21, 2018

I created a Done checkbox. How can I create a filter that hides items that are have Done checked? I read that I can also use due dates which have a checkbox but I don't want to add due dates to my cards.

Zuzana Sekerova I'm New Here Jan 30, 2019

It's Jan 2019 and based on your reply from April 2018, @Torben Gendorf, it looks like I should be able to filter down a board based on the value of a custom text field or a custom drop-down list.  

I just tested it on this board looking to only see a filtered list of dog cards that are marked as "likes most dogs" in the "dog" custom field.  I entered the search terms "likes most dogs" (even tried in quotes to look for an exact string of words) but other cards also show up that don't have those exact words.

Thoughts?

Shubham Gupta Feb 12, 2019

Hello Team,

I have the same question. how can we filter the data based on custom fields. I added custom fields to segregate the data after apply filter on them, but seems it is not doable.

Shasti W I'm New Here Feb 20, 2019

Joining the party here :) custom fields aren't terribly useful if you can't search or filter them. I'm trying to use checkboxes to track cards that meet certain criteria, but it's not helpful if I can't then filter to show only cards that match.

0 votes
Dean Wilson I'm New Here Apr 30, 2019

Hi I also would like a better way to filter on custom fields.

Suggest an answer

This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
Community showcase
Published in Trello

My e-portfolio: using Trello to keep track of skills and experiences

The days are flying by so fast, I can’t seem to slow things down no matter how hard I try. My memory is great; however, I can’t seem to remember vivid details or even highlights from each year of my ...

1,091 views 13 17
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you