cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Excel

geoff.wright November 20, 2019

Hi All

Newbie here....

I have an excel sheet as an attachment and wondering if there is a way to having it open the master copy directly in Excel when clicking the little arrow after the filename rather than it simply downloading, that way when I save it is saved in the original location.

I seem to be getting lots of versions of the same file saved in my download folder and the master copy is not updating unless I re upload

Am I missing something here

TIA

Geoff

1 answer

1 vote
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 20, 2019

You cannot edit directly “in” Trello. If it is an attachment the you must download. Rather than attaching the file consider adding a link to the original file (google docs or O365, share point, etc). When the user clicks the link they will be taken to the source in a new tab where it can be edited and saved in the shared location. This, IMO, is much better than an attachment.

Jack

Capture.JPG

Thanks for that but what must sound like a real dumb question...

You say link but looking at the options on the right-hand side of a card I dont see  a "link" option so ?????

The icon on the left of the file name already says "LINK"

please explain

Geoff

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 20, 2019

sorry for not being clear. I didn't mean link as a action. I should have said add an html URL link to the file. You will need to store the file in some shared location that is accessible to the Trello board users.

Now I am being the dumb one 

The file is in a shared folder B:\project and it is called 5-things.xls

So what do I add where on my Card

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 20, 2019

if you were to share a link to the file in an email that a user could click on then you would simply do the very same thing here. The problem w/ a network drive is that not everyone may be able to access that same drive. The better way is to have the files on some form of cloud storage solution, e.g. Sharepoint, Google Docs, Dropbox, O365 One Drive, etc. Assuming this is associated with your company, I would recommend chatting w/ your IT group about network storage options are in place.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events