Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Displaying Custom Fields in Description

Christian Zappa October 14, 2020

We use Dakboard to display Trello cards on a big screen. Is there a way to have custom fields also be displayed in the description or title? Tried {{%Field Name}} but this does not work. Unfortunately Dakboard's Trello integration does not show custom fields.

1 answer

0 votes
Dan Ivory
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
October 15, 2020

Hi @Christian Zappa 

The custom fields should be showing on the front of the card like this? "Customer Email" is the custom field here.

Screenshot 2020-10-15 at 15.51.22.png

If not, it is possible to set up a Butler automation to have the custom field added to the end of the card title like this. 

Screenshot 2020-10-15 at 15.47.40.png

The first screenshot shows that in action, the title has the customer email added to the end of the title.

Should also work with the description too. Just needs a slightly different butler command.

Let me know if you want more details on how to set that up :) 

Cheers,

Dan 

Christian Zappa October 25, 2020

Thanks Dan. I have got this working with the butler automation you suggested, works great, though unfortunately if you then edit any custom fields it doesn't update the title. Any suggestions? rule.PNG

Dan Ivory
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
October 27, 2020

Hey @Christian Zappa 

I've had a look at this and its possible but requires a bit more set-up.

First you'll need to create a new custom field for this original title to be stored in. (see the image attached). Leave this blank. Butler will add info to it later.

Update title v2.png

Next we will need to edit the original butler command to make a note of the cards original title in the new "original custom field" custom field. 

Here is the setup

Screenshot 2020-10-27 at 08.37.08.png

Next we will create a card button to allow you to trigger the title to update once you have edited the email custom field. 

here is the set up you'll need.

card button to update title again.png

So once set up, the process will be:

1. Edit the email custom field (or your equivalent)

2. this will automatically trigger the "original title" custom field to be updated with the current title of the card.

3. then this same butler command will add the email custom field to the card title.

4. if you update the email custom field later on. to trigger the title to update you'll press the new card button we created called "Update title".

5. this will delete the current card title and replace it with the card title taken from the new custom field we created called "original title". PLUS the updated email custom field.

Hope that make sense! Let me know if not. I'm sure there will be scenarios where it doesn't work perfectly but hopefully that does the trick most of the time.

Cheers,
Dan

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events