Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom Fild with variable {listname} not working on Butler Cardbutton

Felix April 30, 2019

I try to use the following Cardbutton:

set custom field "List" to "{listname}", and move the card to the bottom of list "anotherlist" on board "anotherboard"

But as a result i get Custom field List cleared. 

("List" is a textfield)

...thanks!!!

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 30, 2019

@Felix instead of {listname} you can use {triggercardlistname} which correctly holds the list name of the card on which the button was originally clicked.

Felix April 30, 2019

Awesome, you made my day, thanks @Iain Dooley 

Like Davide Barabino likes this
0 votes
Katrin Anger
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 30, 2019

@Felix 

Hi Felix, not all variables are always usable in actions.

However, I assume that the way you address the custom field is incorrect. Custom field variables need to be addressed in Butler like this: {{%VarName}}. Can you try and use "set custom field {{%List}}", instead?

Felix April 30, 2019

... thanks for your answer.

i addressed it correctly, the form {{%VarName}} is just necessary if you use the custom field as a variable elsewhere.

I tried now with the variable {cardname} instead of {listname}, which is working - but not what i need. So your assumption that the variable {listname} is not working on cardbuttons is correct. bummer!

Katrin Anger
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 30, 2019

@Felix 

What do you need the listname for in the custom field? Can you explain?

Eventually, there is a way to set a user variable (which is different to variables) to get your workflow going.

Felix April 30, 2019

I am moving cards to a list on another board, but i want them to remember which list they came from, because later i move them back with butler, and then use the custom field variable (as you mentioned {{%VarName}}) to put them back to the same list.

how to set user variables in the butler power up?

Katrin Anger
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 30, 2019

@Felix 

Necessary to mention first: User variables are a feature only available for paid accounts.

There are two types of user variables: Board Variables and Card Variables.

Board variables are addressed with {{VarName}}, whereas card variables are addressed with {{#VarName}}.

A user variable is a hidden stored value, which can be made visible in a comment or used in further operations.

Understanding your use case, what I imagine what you could do is setting a card variable, like "set {{#List}} to {listname}". This should store the list's name as a card variable and as the card is moved, it keeps the value. (Whether the value is kept when it is copied, needs to be tested - I am not sure.)

If you need further information on understanding how user variables work, please send me an email (website in profile).

Katrin Anger
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 30, 2019

@Felix 

Another idea: Are you using the description of a card? If not, you could store {listname} there and have that extracted and filled into your custom field?

Felix April 30, 2019

@Katrin Anger thank you very much for your quick replies!

I have a paid account.

I didn't find any online resource about how to set up user variables for the butler power up. I would like to continue the discussion here, as it might be helpful for other users as well

Katrin Anger
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 30, 2019

@Felix 

I totally understand.

Due to the rules of this forum, I am not allowed to promote educational content. But when you go to my website, there is a link to an online course for user variables.

Felix April 30, 2019

@Katrin Anger i understand this community as a place to help each other. For me it looks like you are indirectly promoting educational content. Thankyou for your effort anyway.

@ everyone else: I will contact the support / research a solution and will post here if there is any helpful information.

Felix April 30, 2019

See @Iain Dooley 's answer for the solution

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events