Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom Fields: How to stop custom fields from transferring to another board?

David Hoffmann April 26, 2019

How can I keep custom fields from transferring to another Trello Board? I am currently using specific custom fields for specific boards. But Every time I transfer 1 card to another board it usurps the custom field data from the card and applies it to every card on that board. Is there a solution to this? I do not want custom fields to transfer between boards. Any help you have will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

3 answers

0 votes
Kat Pham February 8, 2023

Anyone having solution for this issue yet? Unique custom fields being carried out from board to board when transferring cards is really annoying. 

I checked all available Automation rules but could not find a solution yet. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

0 votes
Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 28, 2019

@David Hoffmann there's no way to prevent this behaviour but a pretty simple fix is to have a custom fields definition card in your board, and then whenever a card is added to the board use the API to check if it contains any custom fields that are not present in this definition list and delete them.

Here this is implemented using Trellinator:

https://gist.github.com/iaindooley/633a88cc7e65a8498f4fd1fff44e66bc

You can see how to set up Trellinator here:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Marketplace-Apps-articles/Introducing-Trellinator-Automate-Trello-with-Google-Apps-Script/ba-p/925271

0 votes
Katrin Anger
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 27, 2019

@David Hoffmann 

Hi David,

It's a default behavior that values on custom fields are being copied over when the card is copied over. If you don't want that, you could set up an automation with the Butler Power-Up that clears custom fields on cards copied over.

That, however, would only clear the value of the custom field. The custom field itself would have been added to the new board, given that the Custom Fields Power-Up is enabled there.

Just an idea: what happens if you copy a card to a board that doesn't have the Custom Fields Power-Up enabled, as an intermediary board, so to say? I wonder if the information gets lost. You could then copy the card to its correct target board.

Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 28, 2019

@Katrin Anger nope the custom field data persists for a given card regardless of where it's moved to.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events