Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Counting Trello cards

Sally duncan December 22, 2017

Hi, Is there an easy way to have a count of the number of cards in each list.  I'd like to display this in the list heading if possible - or in a card placed at the top of this list.  Would be great to havethat automatically updated when a ne wcard is created by could also be ok if we had to manually generate somehow.

5 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Mike
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 27, 2017

Hi Sally,

This is not natively possible in Trello, but Milt's workaround is a good one. Activating any filter (including with the 'Q' shortcut key) will temporarily show you a count of all cards in each list, but this isn't persistent and won't remain there permanently.

For that, you'd need to add a third-party Chrome extension, such as this one: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/original-card-counter-for/ggamggchfpnmhmkeicjgpedgjcllcefp?hl=en

These are built and maintained by third parties, but can add a great deal of functionality to Trello!

daniel mccrobie August 26, 2020

Great answer but my admin has blocked this extension.  Any other ideas?

Marc Isikoff May 20, 2022

"This is not natively possible in Trello" = Failure to produce minimally viable product. Totals are required in all Kanban like boards.

Will seek out more reliable provider.

Like # people like this
Leeland Miller June 19, 2022

But .length() has been a basic method in programming since the dawn of time.

How is this seemingly trivial feature of displaying a list's length not natively possible?

Like # people like this
Daniel Tan December 27, 2022

any that can count cards with specific labels?

jk64 October 31, 2023

These card counter extensions are no longer working.

Trello itself does not provide any viable alternative - I just want it to show the number of cards at the top of each list.

Surely this must be basic functionality if a simple extension used to be able to do it.

The workarounds involve other powerups which require manually adding other cards or manually editing every single list to add a "limit" option which is not practical.

Like Bruno Gomes Leal likes this
Bruno Gomes Leal
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
November 2, 2023

I find it ridiculous that a simple function like this isn't natively available in Trello, and they even make it challenging for extensions to provide this functionality. It's simply unbelievable

Like Zoltan Komives likes this
Zoltan Komives
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
November 27, 2023

Totally. I would have though Trello was a mature product by now... :(

14 votes
Deleted user December 25, 2017

I'm new, as well. Learned this only today:

Show Menu / Filter Cards /

In the search field, enter an asterisk (*).

James Hough April 29, 2019

That is perfect - thank you!

Like # people like this
nestorgamaliel July 6, 2019

Perfect!, that was great!

But in my version says "Search"

Muchas gracias

tross January 6, 2023

I was using the filter method, but love this as it still shows all cards -- Thank you!

shilpa kalanjee October 1, 2023

Hi I tried this on the iPad but it doesn’t happen - no totals on lists and no cards seen. Please suggest an option without adding extensions or paid for power ups 

thanks 

tross October 1, 2023

Shilpa be sure you type just an asterisk * not (*).

tross October 1, 2023

The Asterisk works in the Filter - Search not on the main screen as it had.  Thanks for bringing this to my attention..

8 votes
Deleted user July 3, 2021

I did find another workaround by using a Powerup - List Limits. I added this and had the limit set to a higher number. So I can always see the card count! It is really useful and stays always like we have in Jira. 

mindydc88 December 19, 2022

works like a charm, thank you! 

1 vote
Ave Horowitz November 14, 2019

I use the Chrome card counter extension. It does the tick fast and easy. 

Badim
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
October 22, 2023

As of this date - they removed option to set limit to 0. 

Was hand to mark rows that need to be done in first order.

0 votes
tross November 2, 2023

The "*" in the filter field still works for me

Screenshot 2023-11-02 120529.png

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events