Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Convert checklist item to a card on another board using Butler

Sharon Blanchard March 29, 2022

Is it possible to set up a rule in Butler to convert a checklist item assigned to a member into a new card on another board? I'm new to using Butler and I'm not sure how to even attempt this.

Thanks for any assistance!

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Hannah Humbert - Simpla Workflows
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 29, 2022

Hi @Sharon Blanchard ! Welcome to the community :) Yes! This is possible. Your rule would look something like this:

linked card.PNG

The trigger is pretty broad, so you might want to narrow down which items need to be turned into linked cards and sent to this specific board. You can make your trigger conditional - e.g. "when an item containing "X" is added to "X" checklist".

Let me know if you need more info :)

Thanks Hannah!  I was hoping that I could assign someone to a checklist item and that would trigger the creation of a card in their workboard. I haven't had luck narrowing down to the assigned member using the containing X option.

Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 29, 2022

Gotcha! For the moment, there aren't any triggers that involve advanced checklist information (check-item member assignment or dates). It's a reasonably new feature, so it's likely it hasn't been built into butler yet. You can reach out to Trello directly here if you want to ask if it's planned for the near future.

In the meantime, you could create separate checklists for each person - e.g. if an item is added to the "Sharon" checklist, then convert the item to a linked card and move to Sharon's board. This might not be the best option if you have a lot of members that need to be involved in this automation, however. If you only have a few members on the board, this could be an ok method. I'd recommend having it so the checklists are added to the card automatically on card creation. E.g. a card is created with empty checklists "Hannah" and "Sharon".

An alternative option is to include that person's @mention in the check item name - e.g. if an item starts with @Sharon, then convert the item to a linked card and move to Sharon's board. People might forget to add the person's @mention in the name of the check item, so you could create another rule that notifies the person when the item doesn't start with "@".

Not the best workarounds 😕 hopefully that helps, though!

Thanks again for the quick reply Hannah. I greatly appreciate it.  I will reach out to trello to request this as a future function. The possible work arounds you suggested could work with our team for now. I'm off to test them.

Thank you!!!

Community Leader
Community Leader
March 29, 2022

You're welcome! 😊

Nicole Pennington January 5, 2023

This is the exact solution I am looking for, however, I don't see the 'Convert item to a linked card' as an option when building out the rule.  Could this have been removed from the functionality recently?  Is it still available?

Community Leader
Community Leader
November 29, 2023

@Nicole Pennington I missed your message, sorry! Hopefully, you managed to find it! But if you didn't, or if anyone else looks at this, this is where you go to find the action to "convert item to a linked card":

image.png

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events