Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Comment time stamp

Tom Wade November 21, 2021

I work where there is no WIFI or phone signal and when I make a comment on a card the time stamp will only appear when I get connection again and shows the time of connection not the time of the comment. Is it possible to show the time of the timestamp with no signal or possible to change the time of the stamp afterward? The only one that could change a time stamp would be the one that made the comment. Thanks. 

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
David Bakkers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 21, 2021

Hello @Tom Wade 

Nope. The comment is added when it is received by Trello, whenever that is, and there is no way to 'backdate' when it happened.

Tom Wade November 22, 2021

Thank you for your reply. When off-line may have to start putting the date and time in the comment or find a program that will post the date and time in a comment when off-line. I do like Trello. Thanks again.

David Bakkers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 22, 2021

You could achieve it with a Butler workaround

1. Create a custom text field called 'Dated Comment'

2. Create a rule that whenever someone adds text to that field, a new comment is added.

3. In the text of that comment, use a variable to put the date / time as well as the text of the custom field. Something like this:

{username} added the comment {{%Dated Comment}} at {time24} on {dateshort}

PS. If you think my initial answer was correct, please mark it as such, so that the next person who comes looking for this topic will know that.

Tom Wade November 22, 2021

Yes, that will work. Instead of putting text in the custom field, I used a custom field with a check box. Check the box and it adds date and time to a comment. Thanks for the information. 

David Bakkers
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 22, 2021

I've just re-thought my advice and realised it still won't solve your essential problem, in that Trello still won't know you checked the custom field until you are back online, so the Butler rule will still run after the actual event and record the time it ran, not the time you checked the box.

Sorry, but this is one small disadvantages of using an online platform that is dependant on an internet connection to complete the user's action.

Tom Wade November 23, 2021

I tested it afterward and you are correct that it still does not work when offline. It was a good try and still a good idea. Thanks.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events