Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can we restrict permission to a specific list or card, but not the whole board?

Marie Powell June 10, 2021

If we have a Project Board with multiple participants, can we restrict their access to just a specific card or list, without allowing them to see the whole board?

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Hannah Humbert - Simpla Workflows
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 10, 2021

Hi Marie! For the moment, if you would like to share a card with a member, you would need to add them to the board, so there's no way to share just the card with someone. The way to go would be to create a dedicated board for each participant and "share" the card with their board. In terms of "sharing" the card with another board, there are a few options:

1. Butler
You could create a rule so that when a specific label (i.e. member 1) is applied to a card on your project board, it automatically copies to the dedicated member board and links together. 
Pros: it's free to achieve this
Cons: the cards will not be synced together, but you could automate some actions with Butler

2. Unito
Use Unito's two-way board sync to build automated workflows between boards so that cards sync to different member boards when you apply certain labels to the Project Board cards. It's a complete bi-directional sync, so all updates (comments, status, etc.) will sync both ways
Pros: it's completely automated and cards are fully synced bi-directionally, so no manual work
Cons: it's a paid power-up, but you might get the ROI if you're avoiding the manual work, and enabling better visibility

3. Wait for Trello's native card mirroring feature
This is being released in the coming weeks, so not much has been shared in terms of functionality and pricing, but from what I've read, I believe it's a one-way mirror of individual cards.
Pros: it's native to Trello and will sync most fields one-way
Cons: I don't know if it will be a fully automated 2-way solution if you're needing that, and I'm not sure it'll be free (it might just be for paid Trello accounts) - this is speculation so someone might prove me wrong :)

Hope that helps!

Marie Powell June 10, 2021

This is very helpful & may solve an issue we are working with for external collaborative professionals who only need access to their portion of a project/task.

Thanks!

Hannah Humbert - Simpla Workflows
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 10, 2021

Great! Glad that helped. Happy to help if you have any further questions around option 1 or 2 :)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events