• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Butler - Multiple Checklists on a card - not converting into linked cards

Esme Crutchley Community Leader Feb 20, 2020

Hello Fellow Trello-Lovers!

I've come across a bit of an issue that I've never had before!

I decided that I wanted to take my checklists to the next level, and for each item on a checklist to be changed to linked cards. 

I want to have a card button that would make all the checklist items into linked cards so that I know exactly how much I have to do, rather than just a checklist which doesn't tell me how long things will take. 

So, I made a card button that looks like this:

Screenshot 2020-02-20 at 16.35.42.png

But for some unknown reason, it doesn't do multiple checklists, it only did the bottom checklist on one card, the top one had a task ticked off, so I thought that might have been why. So then I tried it on another card with 5 checklists and nothing ticked off, and it only did the top checklist and not the other 4.

How do I get it to act on all the checklists on the card and not just the one it feels like running on?!

3 answers

Hi,

The variable {checklistname} reffers only to the activ checklist which is the last modified. The action

convert all the items in all the checklists 

is missing in butler.

So an alternativ to this card button could by a rule like this 

when an item starting with "#{*}" is added to a checklist, convert the item to a linked card using pattern "{wildcard1}"

If you want to convert an item just prefix it with hashtag character for example. 

By using pattern, the name of the linked card will be based on item name without hashtag.

And added item without hashtag will not be converted.

Esme Crutchley Community Leader Feb 21, 2020

Thank you for your answer @Ludo and it's very helpful.

However, this doesn't solve the problem for me. 

My checklists are already populated, I don't add anything to the checklists (they are on a repeating card so that I only had to write them out once). I also don't want all the checklists I make to change to linked cards, hence why I wanted a card button that I could press on a card if I wanted those checklists to be made into linked cards. I can't even say that I know I want Checklist X to always be made into linked cards, because there will be times when I'm happy to just go through the checklist. 

Is there really no way that I can do this?

According to me, you must to treat checklist one by one. For this you can use a rule like this :

when an item containing "converting" is added to checklist "{*}", remove item "converting", and convert all the items in checklist "{checklistname}" into linked cards

Then,

Just add an technical item (in my use case, named "converting") in a checklist, this will trigger converting rule and remove the technical item. 

Repeat this action for each targeted checklist.

@Esme Crutchley , so what I suggest you it is not a card button (it will not work) but a checklist button like.

If you want to conserv your card button, just apply a small modification to the targeted checklist and press the card button.

@Esme Crutchley @Ludo 

Worked on something that help overcome the limitation ...Butler cannot

convert all the items in all the checklists 

Read this end of this post for the workaround (solution) 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Trello

📹 What is Trello?

Hello Community!  My name is Brittany Joiner and I am a Trello enthusiast and Atlassian Community Leader. I'll be sharing with you a series of videos with my top tips on how to best use Trello...

836 views 14 30
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you