Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bulk set custom fields value via Trello rest API

Anand Kashyap February 4, 2021

Hi,
I have a use case where I need to set about 20 custom fields when creating trello cards via REST API. I checked the API docs but there is no mention of setting custom fields in bulk. I dont want to set value of fields one by one.
I know that setting values in bulk is possible because this is implemented in create card action of zapier app - https://zapier.com/apps/trello/integrations

Please advise me how to do it.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 4, 2021

@Anand Kashyap there is no way to do it in bulk, the Zapier action is probably just looping through and doing it one by one.

thats strange - this way the trello API limit would be exhausted pretty fast

Like Iain Dooley likes this
Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 4, 2021

@Anand Kashyap the api limits in Trello are all rate limits, as such it might take time but as long as you space out your api calls it will still finish. The thing that has limits on number of command runs is Butler.

Like Anand Kashyap likes this

thanks
should I send parallel requests for setting values or sequential so that rate limits are kept under control? and if sequential what could be a safe time gap between two requests?

David Bakkers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 6, 2021

Hello Anand.

It doesn't matter if you send the requests in parallel or sequentially, they both 'add up' to the rate total. The rate limit is very generous and unless you are editing thousands of custom fields per session, you'll be fine. Just iterate through the 20 custom fields per card.

Like Anand Kashyap likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events