Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bug while commenting card in trello.

Костян Рунов July 18, 2020

When you comment a card with something like "*number*. *something*" the *number* automatically changes to "1." after publishing. For example "168. asdf" turns into "1. asdf".

2 answers

2 votes
Esme Crutchley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 19, 2020

Hi @Костян Рунов 

If you take a look at the markdown options for Trello, not only can you find out why this is happening but also how to stop it. This is what I believe is happening:

You can use markdown in the description cards as well as the comments.

Hope that's helpful

Esme :)

Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 19, 2020

Thanks for the clarification, Esme!

Wasn't obviously intuitive to me, but glad there's a help doc on it.

0 votes
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 18, 2020

@Костян Рунов - does this happen on the website, the mobile app (Android or iOS), desktop app, or all three?

EDIT 1: Whoa, crazy, I'm able to reproduce your issue in Chrome on Windows. :-o

Adding this in a card description

168. chickens
cats
1. dogs

Yields:

1. chickens
cats
2. dogs

EDIT 2: I reported this to Trello Support, and I included a link to this Community thread in the bug report. Thanks for sharing this!

Esme Crutchley
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 19, 2020

Hi @Dave Liao 

I'm sorry to say, but this isn't a bug, it's markdown within comments and descriptions not being used/understood properly.

168\. chickens would remove the autonumbering.

Trello thinks that it's a list, and is numbering it accordingly, you have to tell it that it's not a list by using the \

If you look at the link below, you'll see all the ways that Trello uses markdown, how to format your text in these sections, as well as how to stop it from happening!

Hope that's helpful!

Esme :)

Like Dave Liao likes this
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 19, 2020

@Esme Crutchley - Thanks again for clarifying!

@Костян Рунов - Esme's right, I'd pick her answer as the correct one. Her answer also includes a link to Trello's documentation on how numbering in markup works.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events