Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BigPicture for Trello- Choosing custom columns?

Rebecca Welton December 2, 2018
Hello,
I am trying to use BigPicture with my Trello board, but I am finding it challenging. I have a number of tasks that are frequently repeated, so I have set up checklists in Butler. I choose a checklist, it automatically creates items with linked cards. Then I assign those tasks to teams by moving the cards into different lists. We frequently repeat the same sorts of tasks, but we do them to different projects. All of the child cards using the same butler-generated checklist have the same name for the same type of task. I mark them with the same labels, depending on the needs of the task. When I open BigPicture, I have no way of differentiating which project each identically named task goes to. It makes it impossible to see what is happening and to set dependencies.
We are actually producing physical goods. Each set of tasks is associated with a work order, and a material color/type. On the BigPicture chart screen, I have to be able to differentiate between work orders and between material colors within the work order, or I can't set dependencies that make sense. In Trello, I have set up a custom field for the work order number, and a second custom field for the material/Color. This whole problem would be solved for me if I could tell Big Picture to give me those custom fields as columns. Ideally I would be able to set it up so I can see: List, Title, Due Date, Custom Field Invoice #,  Custom Field Material, and Status. Is there a way to customize the columns to get rid of what I don't need and add what I do?
I thought I might be able to find a work-around by ordering the cards in the trello list in the order that the tasks need to be completed, but I seem to only be able to sort within each list by alphabetical order, which turns into a garbled mess. At the very least, is there an option to sort by the trello card order?
Lastly, how do I get the archived cards off of the BigPicture chart? 

Unfortunately, In digging further I realized that I can’t break whole days down into hours or minutes, which means even if these other issues turned out to be fixable, it still won’t be useful for me. Tasks take less than an entire day.

Thank you!

1 answer

0 votes
Radosław (SoftwarePlant) December 4, 2018

Hi,

I am sorry you are having problem telling which card came from which board. If the name and the list of the card have the same names there is currently no way to tell. in different boards. Sorry for the inconvenience. Currently there is no Board column to display such information.

As far as custom columns and custom fields are concerned , unfortunately it is impossible, again sorry. Good news though - we already have it in our plans. Please keep an eye on our Roadmap.

Another yet unimplemented feature is the option to sort by the trello card order. Our Dev team have added your suggestion to their ordering criteria and will be working on implementing it.

The last thing is fortunately good news. In the next release there will be a possibility to hide archived cards.

I hope this information is helpful.

Radosław of SoftwarePlant Team

Rebecca Welton December 4, 2018

Thank you! Very helpful. What do you think about being able to break days down further into hours and minutes? 

Itzik Maoz June 13, 2019

Not sure if it is related, but I cannot figure out how to sort groups. I group by List but it uses what seems a random order, I tried to change the names of the lists, to move them around in trello. Any suggestions?

Tomek-SoftwarePlant
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 13, 2019

@Itzik Maoz your observations are correct. Groups are sorted randomly and, unfortunately, there is nothing we can do to make it work your way. 

Daniel E.F. September 27, 2019

Hi Tomek.

Yes. I realized this same problem, the random order.

This is one of the main reasons why I am pushed away from using Big Picture. 

Other suggestions are, a lock mode for all the tasks (lock all or something like that) and a labeling change when the tasks are completed (i.e green).

I hope it helps.

Yours,

Daniel

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events