Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Avoiding Duplicate Card Names

Lynne December 21, 2021

How do I avoid duplicate card names? I want to ensure no other card exists with the same card name. Is there an alert that'll notify you and ask/force you to rename the card to proceed when "Creating/Copying a Card"

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Hannah Humbert - Simpla Workflows
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 21, 2021

Hi @Lynne ! Welcome to the community :) maybe try create an automation? There are heaps of ways you could set it up, but here's one example:

Screenshot_20211222-085734_Chrome.jpg

Mykenna Cepek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 21, 2021

Great solution, @Hannah Humbert - Simpla Workflows!

One suggestion...

Probably want to call out the {triggercardlink} as well (in the email, maybe in the comment also).

The "found" (existing) card might have multiple other cards linked to it, so it might not be clear which link in the existing card goes to the newly created duplicate.

Community Leader
Community Leader
December 21, 2021

Good point! Yes, the content I gave in my example might not make sense for all use-cases, so you can definitely customize it. The main idea is to use the automation to find the duplicate card using the lookup function. In terms of the actions that follow that, it's up to you! For example, you could rename the duplicate card and pre-fix it with [duplicate], link it to the original, and then archive the duplicate, and then post a comment to let the card creator know what happened. It's so cool how many things you can do with Butler! 😃

Like Lynne likes this
Lynne March 10, 2022

@Hannah Humbert - Simpla Workflows I tried doing as you suggested and tested it, but it doesn't appear to be working. Can you help me see what I may be doing wrong?

when a card is added to the board

lookup a card titled "{triggercardname}" on board "Quoting"
lookup a card titled "{triggercardname}" on board "Completed SCP Jobs"
lookup a card titled "{triggercardname}" on board "Completed SHR Jobs"
rename the card to "[Duplicate] {cardname}"
link the cards together
archive the card
post comment "@{creatorusername} Duplicate card was created on {date} at {time} by {username}. \n\nAutomation rules found & linked to the original card, and archived the duplicate that was created. \n\nPlease see duplicate in attachments and rename your card. \n*See below for details:*\n**Link to card:** [{cardname}]({cardlink})\n**Card Author:** {creatorfullname}"

and send an email notification to "mcanitano@silverhorseracing.com" with subject "Duplicate Card" and message "A duplicate card was added to the board. See below for details:\n**Link to card:** [{cardname}]({cardlink})\n**Card Author:** {creatorfullname}"

Community Leader
Community Leader
April 19, 2022

Hi @Lynne ! I'm only just noticing now that you replied to this! 🙈 Did you manage to resolve this? I'm thinking the issue is due to the OR statement you're trying to achieve by looking up cards across multiple boards. You may need to create separate rules for each board? 

0 votes
Alicia Filíu Birlanga
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 21, 2021

Hi @Lynne It would be great but I think it is not possible directly. The only thing I can think of is to write on search board the title you want to put in your new card, and you will see if the tittle already exists in your boards. 🤷‍♀️

Looking for read other answers to this question😊

0 votes
Mykenna Cepek
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 21, 2021

Sounds like a good use-case for a new Trello Power-Up. (hint hint)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events